Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Houston TX....paging members for info

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by DEMON44, Apr 30, 2007.

1. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Is anyone down in Houston? Anyone that might (on the outside chance) work for NAbors drilling in Houston?

I think this is the address of the houston service facility

Breen Yard
    8400 Breen Rd.
    Houston, TX 77064

I'm on with Nabors in Calgary now, but once the 3 year probation comes up I might look at a transfer down to Houston.

I'm sort of looking for info on where the hell Nabors yard is in town? and neighborhoods near there in the "upper" scale family type surroundings. or just outside of town near there.

Houseing prices.......cost of living.......ETC

Thanks for any insite

2. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Demon44

I am not from Houston, so I can't give you the most specific details. But from what I have heard and been told, Houston sucks. I know you said you were looking for upscale neighborhoods but just thought I would offer some insight to what I have heard about the location.

Talk with fabjunkie, he lives in Oklahomo now, but he moved from Houston I think.

On a side note doesn't your brother play for the Rangers? My wife and I are going to go see a game this summer.

3. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

cool, thanks. I'm not sold on anything. but I'm getting sick of winters. so if I can transfer down in to Texas (somewhere) I think I'd be happy.

and yes, the little brother is pro with the Rangers organisation. Not on the big club ..."yet" though.

He playing Double AA in Frisco TX this season.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Ok I live in Houston. Every town, city, etc sucks in some way so I won't get in to that too much.

When you mention "upperscale" neighborhoods how "upper scale" do you mean? High dollar mansions or just middle class with good schools etc?

The address will pull up on a map so you can easily see where it is but I can tell you a little about that area. First off, you won't want to live in that immediate area. If you look at a map of Houston, you would want to live "outside" of the Sam Houston Tollway(beltway 8)

For better schools(if that's important) you will want to live near Cypress.(located near hwy 290) Cypress-Fairbanks Independant School District is one of the top school districts in the nation.

If you don't have school aged kids, there are several other areas with very nice houses and decent schools that are fairly close to work.

Let me know what other info you want/need and I'll help you the best I can.

FYI I work all over Houston in my line of work so I see all the areas of town... the bad and the good. ;)

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Hey thanks. Thats great information. I'm meaning the upper middleclass good family raising kids type neighbourhood. not the mansion type big $$$ style. We do pretty good but not richy rich.

We've got 2 little girls, one newborn and other 2 years old. when I'm able to transfer they will be just going into school age.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Then you would probably want something in the Cy-Fair area. There are a ton of neighborhoods to choose from that are all about the same commute from the location listed above. (15-30 minutes) Smaller homes (currently) cost around $95,000 to around $120,000. We sold a 4 bedroom house with just over 2100 square feet last year for $139,900 just to give you some idea of what houses cost around here (77095 zip code). You can also search http://www.har.com for real estate in and around Houston.

7. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

I am about to move out there. The waller school district is not bad either. Pricing is not all that bad. Depends on what you are looking for. You can find community housing or you can find land with home combinations. I personally am working on something that has 2 1/2 acres with 2200 sq ft home for
    $ 130,000.00 technically speaking it is in Hockley, but there are other areas like Cypress, Tomball, Magnolia, and so on and so forth.

8. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Do you do the land rigs or offshore? My cousin works for MISwaco?

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I build land based AC triples. some for barges in LA, some things for middle east. like 3000hp drawworks and dog houses. we ship those to Dubai, and they're dispursed from there. overhaul topdrives and mudpumps.

.......... exactly like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]