Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How 4x4 works?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by palomares, Sep 8, 2004.

1. palomares

palomares Newbie

I have blazer k5 1986, but I don´t Know how use 4x4. Somebody can help me.

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

get out, and turn these all the way to the right
    (the gold part in the center)
    [​IMG]

get in, put the truck in neutral, then shift the floor shifter into 4 wheel drive high or low, then put the truck in gear and go

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yeah like Branndon said, go to the front axle of the truck, turn the little bar on in the hub (the part that sticks out from where the tire/rim is mounted.
    then hop in your rig, and look at the transfercase shifter (the smaller of the 2 shifters, if you have an auto, and move it down to 4hi or 4lo

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

welcome palomares /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Hang around long enough here and you won't be able
    to recognize your truck in a year /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If it is a stock 86 it doesn't have manual hubs.. Just put it in 4wd drive and go.. Back it up 50 feet or so in 2wd to disincage..

6. palomares

palomares Newbie

Thanks everyone, it´s works. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If it is a stock 86 it doesn't have manual hubs.. Just put it in 4wd drive and go.. Back it up 50 feet or so in 2wd to disincage..

[/ QUOTE ]
    My 86 came stock with manual locking hubs and I am sure that it had the stock axle up front before I changed it to 3/4 ton. So maybe some 86's had manual and auto locking hubs. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. gokartergo

Nope.. they all came from the factory with auto hubs.. Somebody put the manual hub in afterwards..

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You POSITIVE on that?

Not trying to start anything, just interested to know for sure.

I know in '85-86 the parts manual shows the *D60* with auto or manual hubs, but 87-88 shows only manuals for D60. Guess they figured out they were a bad design. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Interested to know about the manual hubs, since IIRC all the 10 bolts have the right snap ring grooves for both auto or manual, and that would seem pointless if they didn't use manual hubs.

Or was this only a Blazer thing, where a 3/4 ton the same vintage COULD have had manual hubs?

10. gokartergo

I am 99% positive that all 1/2 tons came with auto hubs. and about 99% positive all 3/4 tons came with auto hubs.. I do not now for sure on the 1 ton's

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How are the snap ring grooves for manuals and autos any different?

My '60 came from the factory with manual hubs and I have never personally seen a '60 with factory auto hubs although it's possible that they were available.

All mid 80s trucks came from the factory with auto hubs.

I was going to mention this earlier but I thought we were simply talking about K5s which are all 1/2 tons and all of those years would have factory auto hubs.

12. dyeager535

I thought there was an "outer" and an "inner" snap ring groove, one of which is used with auto's, one without? I thought at one time there was some question as to whether you could put manual (factory) hubs on certain axles that came originally with auto hubs. Could be mistaken, I just seem to remember that from a long time ago.

If they used the same grooves, my mistake, no biggie, just seems odd that auto hubs (that sucked so bad) were the norm in a truck that still ran wing windows, didn't have a digital radio available, AC was optional in, and so on. Seems like a luxury item more than manual hubs, but then again, maybe it cost GM no more money to throw the crummy auto hubs on the truck.

I could almost see it as a warranty issue, but if you took it out of 4wd but didn't back up, you'd still run with the hubs locked all the time. Guess maybe GM could have figured that people would remember to back up more than they would remember to get out and unlock them. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Service manual shows a different 205 for the auto hubs as well. One other reason to stop using both hubs at the same time, GM eliminated another transfer case.

13. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, two of the 60's I had came with auto locking hubs /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My 85 K5 came factory with manual locking hubs. Says so in the glove box on the options sticker. They are GM deluxe hubs (warn standards)

Harley

15. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My 85 K5 came factory with manual locking hubs. Says so in the glove box on the options sticker. They are GM deluxe hubs (warn standards)

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah mine says the same thing in the glove box..

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, two of the 60's I had came with auto locking hubs /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I see a picture of them? I've never seen a set of auto hubs on a GM 60.

I'll stand corrected on the 1/2 ton thing, although I've never seen a stock mid-80s 1/2 ton with factory manuals.

17. dyeager535

Do CUCV's count? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif