Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How a body lift will f' up your t-case.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jan 8, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Before I moved to school about 4 months ago, I installed a 3" body lift on my suburban. I did everything that the kit told me, steering lengthen, column shifter lengthened, etc. Well shortly thereafter whenever I tried to shift my t-case (NP241) into 4 low it made a godawful grinding sound and I had to do a stupid pattern of putting the tranny in neutral and park before shifting into 4 low. Anyway a few days ago I went to install the slip yoke eliminator kit and as I disassembled the t-case, I noticed the range fork and sproket it attaches it, as well as the input shaft of the t-case (which is what the sprocket fits into) were all worn very badly. Down in the bottom of the case, I found some broken pieces of the pads that were supposed to fit in between the fork and sprocket, they had aparently not been in the correct place for quite some time as the above mentioned parts were worn beyond use.

I had hell locating new parts, I couldnt even find a complete case to cobble parts together from. I finally found the parts I needed in a city 3 hours north of me, and had them put the parts on a grayhound bus and overnight them to me. So I got them today and the damn range fork wont fit, the other two pieces are perfect but I think they sent me a range fork for a driver's side drop case and mine is a passenger side drop. My original fork was made out of stamped steel and the one they sent me is cast aluminum (although it does have alot better designed pads...damn). So it doesnt fit. I had already bought a full set of pads for both forks from the dealership so I decided to "fix" the old fork. I used the grinder to re-open the little slots the pads fit into and grind down the sharp edge the sprocket had made.

When I am putting the case back together, I notice the pads on the mode fork are very badly worn on one side, then it hits me. When I did the body lift I did not adjust the t-case shifter because the kit didnt say anything about it. From inside, the little orange square was not exactly on the correct range but it was close enough that I didnt worry about it. Today I realized that since its been body-lifted, the shifter has been slightly pulling on the forks which cause the severe wear on the pads which caused me to spend 4 days and $250 on parts. So I managed to get it all put back together tonight (with all new pads on both forks) and will adjust the shifter tomorow. I might have to fab a new connecting rod but that will be easy. Anyway kids, the moral of the story is dont neglect your t-case shifter when doing a body lift or it will bite you in the ass.

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

huh....

I've never had a problem with my 3" body lift and my NP205. But the NP205 is stupid simple, and the shift pattern does change a bit because the case is further from the cab. basically the t-case stick is 3" shorter.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The 205 shifter is not attached to the body at all, that is why it is unaffected by a body lift other than being 3" closer to the floor when you're done.

The aluminum cases aren't this lucky....their linkage sucks.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well I put it all back together today. "fixing" the old fork was a very bad idea. Two hours of labor reassembling resulted in the same goddawful goddam ****ing grinding sound so I am going to have to call the company that sent me the wrong ****, get them to overnite the right **** to me and take the whole F'ing case apart again. Sometimes I am amazed at my own stupidity.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

screw up not just you

my friend has a 241 in a 90 k5 SOLID AXLE and the tail housing broke when the shaft droped . whent to dealer , no problem 2 days no returns special order item. o.k. got to have , got and its for a dam drivers drop thay didnt lissen to him when thay orderd the part. just wanted to tell you your not the only 1 with wrong 241 parts . sorry for your bad luck tho.