Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how about a 25-06?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by jekbrown, Sep 19, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd like to have a decent long range target / varmit rifle and I've always thought of something along the lines of a 220 swift or 22-250 or something. I happen to have a Ruger M77 chambered in 30-06 that my dad gave me tho... isn't this rifle a new bbl away from being a 25-06? If so, maybe I'll go that route instead of getting a whole new gun. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif anyone have / shot / used a 25-06? opinions?

j

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

.25-06 is an awesome round from everything I have seen an heard from people. I am really interested in it myself. It is just a barrel away from being a .25-06.

The .257 is a little large for a varmit caliber but it would work fine. The .220 Swift, .22-250, etc are more of the super flat super fast shooters for the long range shots.

The 25-06 is a great all around caliber. Anything deer size and under is very doable. Its all about the practice.

I personally have been looking into a 6.5mm-06. It is a .264 caliber. I like the caliber because it is something different. Not many people have ever heard of it let alone seen one. It is a reloader caliber only though. .25-06 you can buy over the counter ammo for.

If you can't afford a super varmit killer then the .25-06 would be a great all around budget rifle.

Harley

3. jekbrown

yeah, I'd prolly use the lightest bullets I could use from the thing... hopefully get some good fps. I'd really prefer a blazing-speed flat-shooting varmit type of rifle... like a Swift... but that'd prolly cost me a lot more.

I'm not going to hunt with it, just long-range taget shoot and stuff.

now that I think of it, haven't they offered the M77 in 220 swift before? if so, could a few parts be swapped in along with a new bbl to go .220?

j

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you want a new barrel for .2506 then don't go with a light barrel. Go with a heavier barrel. they dissapate heat better, help steady the shooter, and help absorb recoil.

As for swapping everbarrel, bolt, etc., don't. You might as well buy the whole rifle if you go any farther then a barrel swap. M77's are that expensive so it wouldn't be worth it to do all that work. Buying the new rifle would be alot easier and probably the same price or cheaper.

Harley

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I've got a Weatherby 25-06, nice gun, really flat shooter. I've never hunted anything with it but I'm thinking antelope next season. (I just inherited it this spring) I like it a lot at the range though.

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack Registered Member

I have pretty extensive experience with a Rem 700 in .25-06, and its great for most game from varmints to whitetail deer. Was stationed in ND for about four years and hunted with it there using handloaded 120 grain bullets for whitetail. Longest shot was 265 measured yards, and all kills were one-shot. Its also a pretty good varmint gun with lighter bullets, although a little bit much on recoil if you're over anything like a 'dog city where you will experience several shots.
    Sold mine to a good friend who has taken elk with it, but IMO that's pushing it. Think i still have my old loading data if you're interested?

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Any particular reason for choose a 25-06 over a 30-06?

Im only guessing that there are better advantages to the "lighter" end of the spectrum?

8. jekbrown

i like speed, light/fast bullets. I'm not going to be hunting anything with it... if I ever did hunt it'd be for some kinda varmit or something, no deer or anything like that. 99.999% of the bullets fired from this thing would punch a whole in paper or hit a steel target.

j

9. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

If your looking for fast and light I would look at the .220 Swift or .22-250. Both will consistently send 45-50 grain bullets downrange at 4000 fps. Barrel life at those velocities is relatively short ~2000 rounds. Heavier bullets fired ibn te 3600-3800 fps range give case and barrel life comparable to any high-intensity .22 caliber centerfire cartridge. If you ever do decide to go after deer, though, the 25-06 would be quite sufficient.

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Arrrg! Just re-read your first post, and yes you are just a new barrel away from a 25-06. I say go for it. If you're gonna be punching holes in paper, then you shouldn't settle for less than a quality barrel, installed by a good gunsmith. Douglas, Ciener, are a couple of names that come to mind. Expect to pay at least $200 for a rebarrel job, not counting the price of the barrel. If you're really looking for accuracy, and cloverleaf groups put a smile on any serious shooter's face, see what it would cost to have your rifle and action blueprinted when you get the rebarrel done.

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

All you guys talking about high velocities and all reminds me of a time a bunch of us were camping in Daniel Boone National Forest in eastern KY (Appalachian Mountains). We were at the edge of a cliff overlooking a vast gorge with cliffs on the other side – maybe 100 to 150 yds. max. (in this particular direction).

Anyway – we were discussing the relative slow velocities of the .45 cal. 1911. To prove his point, my bud says “watch this “ – so we put on hearing protection and he fired a round across the gorge towards this rock face. We pulled off our hearing protection just in time to hear a distinct “THWACK” against this rock cliff. It had to be at least a full two seconds after the round was fired before we heard it hit the rock. We could not duplicate this with a .357 mag. nor a .44.mag.

I’m not trying to get into a discussion or debate on the merits of any particular ammunition or their respective velocities … and there’s no point in this story. I just wanted to share my experience – an epiphany if you will – on the low velocities of the .45 cal. I started paying attention to that sort of thing after that.

12. jekbrown

yeah, there is a guy in southern oregon who makes pimpin bbls to any spec you want. I'm thinking 1" thick stainless, 28" or so, maybe fluted... then have it cryo'd and call it good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think I'm gonna wait... a 220 would be the ultimate, its what I really want, so I guess I'll wait a while so I can actually afford what I really want rather than modding my 30-06 into something "close" to what I want now.

j

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I've been considering 25-06 for one of my boys, very acceptable flat shooter with good energy transfer to game.

220 Swift is about the flattest shooter... a laser beam. But so fast (loads available up to 5000fps) that it is not my choice for any hunting.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If i were imterested in a varmint rifle, I would go 223 win. In an AR-15. Lots of people do the same.

Isn't the 25-06 just a necked down 30-06?

15. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally have been looking into a 6.5mm-06. It is a .264 caliber.
    Harley

[/ QUOTE ]
    I LOVE the ol' Swede (6.5x55). Been shootin a Kimber 6.5 for 3yrs now and it is one of my very favorite calibers. Good on anything from p-dogs to elk. The 25-06 is actually a little faster and flatter though, but it doesn't have the selection of bullet weights that the 6.5 does (85g to 145g).
    If I had a Ruger '06 though, I'd keep it. It would cost more to rebarrel than to buy a used 25 (unless you do your own 'smithing.). A better option to rebarrel is a long action Savage 110 as they are easier to properly set up.

16. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    If i were imterested in a varmint rifle, I would go 223 win. In an AR-15. Lots of people do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isnt for varmits really... its for 200-300m target shooting.. maybe someday shoot a groundhog or something.

[ QUOTE ]
    Isn't the 25-06 just a necked down 30-06?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

btw... is there a wildcat cartridge where they load a .223 bullet in a necked down 30-06? if so, whats it called?

j