Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How about a "Technical FAQ"...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

How about a \"Technical FAQ\"...

I can certainly appreciate how hard it must be for the "senior" members around here to see the same questions posted OVER-and-OVER-and-OVER. Sometimes the "new guy" doesn't bother searching the archives.....or maybe they just used a bad "keyword" to search, or possibly searched in the wrong forum.

It occurred to me that most sites give you a FAQ to help you find the "BASIC" answers easily....so that if you're new to the list, you don't start off on the wrong foot by asking a common question. But, if you look at the FAQ on CK5.....it's actually about how to make posts, change settings, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with "frequently asked TECHNICAL questions"....I think this could be addressed and would probably help EVERYONE be more efficient at getting their answers!

Here are some topics that could EASILY go into the FAQ:

14-Bolt - SemiFloater vs Full Floater
    14-Bolt - Spring Pad Widths for various years
    14-Bolt - Other considerations when doing a swap (parts needed)

Dana 44 - Converting 6-Lug to 8-Lug...parts needed
    Dana 44 vs 10-Bolt - Comparison of differences

Dana-60 - Which ones bolt-in directly? Will Ford work...will a dually work?

Gearing & Tires - General Table showing common gearsets used with different tire sizes.

How Much Lift Do I Need? - Basic information lifts vs tire size...fender trimming, etc.

Crossover Steering - What it is, and why you might need it.

A lot of these could be cross-linked to the actual "Technical Writeup" showing the step-by-step procedures for some of these conversions. The information is already on the site, it just needs to be "pulled together" into one area. There could be a "highlighted" link at the top of each Message Board that said:

"Technical FAQ - Search here FIRST for your question"

...or something like that.

Anyway, just an observation I have made about the site. I know Steve doesn't need any extra work right now[​IMG]....but if people feel strongly enough about contributing (or at least providing the LINKS to the writeups) it may be a simpler task.

Maybe for now, we could just brainstorm about the "TOPICS" that seem to be asked ALL THE TIME....and compile a list of the things we'd like to eventually get into the Technical FAQ? I've already listed a few above....but there are PLENTY more!!

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: How about a

I just PM'd Steve asking him if he wanted me to do a NP205 fixed yoke vs. slip yoke comparison with rebuild, then I see this post. As always I'm a day late and a dollar short [​IMG].
    I have 2 NP205's one fixed yoke after conversion (in truck) with 32 spline Chevy front output. The other is now (after swapping) a slip yoke with a 10 spline Chevy front output. A member sold me a complete setup to convert it back to fix yoke, and another member is selling me a ford 32 spline front output. I also bought a complete rebuild kit from ORD. I would show all the parts side by side that differ from a fixed yoke to slip yoke. I could show the differences between the 10 spline output and 32 spline (I don't think I will take the 30 spline out of my case in the truck). I would show the rebuild process. I am also thinking of doing the twin stick conversion (question is if I grind the detents on the rails, can I still use the single shifter with crossbar until I fab up the twin stick levers?). I would be willing to do the write-up with pics and give it to Steve if everyone wanted (probably take two months before I get all the parts, do the swap/rebuild, and do the write-up). That is also if Steve wants to put it up in the tech section (after all he IS the boss) [​IMG].

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good idea but in a way defeats the point of a message board...sure we've all seen:

4.56's or 4.10's with my 35's and OD....

do RS5000's really suck that badly?....

"4 or 6in lift?".....

Help me hack my fenders to clear 39's with 4inches...

she's my street queen will a 6inch lift clear 33's enough for no trimming(Please dont say i have to harm my fenders)....

"I like blocks in the front why dont you?" .... etc ect...
    (No harm or names or specific people pointed out) These things come up often but the fun is getting a real time answer or a direction to be guided to. I really think even with a tech FAQ page instead of search the index we will be posting check the vehicle FAQ page rather than search the index newbie....maybe a bit easier than searching the huge index on this board but still back to a already existing problem...it could help some but like many others even though i read the stats and searched the index properly I'd like veiwpoints and feedback from people that may have done the project yesterday or last week....or found out front blocks weren't such a good idea ?!?!??!?!

No matter what this board will always kick arse!!!!! and thats just my humble opinion....

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Leadfoot,

EXACTLY! That was the idea I had.....maybe in the FAQ, you simply answer the question "What is a Slip-Yoke vs Fixed Yoke 205?" then include the links to all the cool technical installations and detail.

The idea is to keep the FAQ compact enough that people are willing to read it, and do searches in it. But the idea of having "drill down" links to even MORE detail within a given topic would be awesome!

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I see both sides of this. We will still have to write something, but it would be nice instead of saying "Hey look, there is a search feature here...use it", you could point them with a link to a possible answer to their question. Usually when a person poses a question they would like a real time answer. It doesn't mean they can't then post to the boards to ask for opinions on different items of an article. Also the search feature is sometimes "hard" to use. If you type in Dana 60 you will get a million posts, but if you type in D60, or D 60, etc, you get different posts and sometimes you have to filter the "garbage" to get to an answer. No-matter how good a tech article is, it still leaves items out. And sometimes it is from one person's viewpoint so asking others for their input is still needed, but at least the person will have some background to ask pertinent questions.
    To each his own, but this is how I feel.
    [​IMG]

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: How about a \"Technical FAQ\"...

Well That was the original idea for the technical section off the main board I'm sure. What the through was is have reader submit write ups and they would be located there. Problem is the end user. They are often to lazy to use the search feature, FAQ or look around at the rest of the site.
    What we might be able to do once we get enough write ups is put a amedum to the FAQ section that would link over to the technical section. Then have a search the archives link from the write up's for "more information" basicly have it as a link to the existing search engine that will preload the key search phrase. That would probably be an easy set up and dirrect the newbies into it with a "Check here communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/

I just sent Steve the TPI injector swap article, and would be happy to do the 'TPI swap into older truck' tech article, as you suggested. I would do my share of it, ask for input from the other guys that also did it, and combine it into a pretty comprehensive write up if it is wanted. From all the volume of FI questions on the board, and the amount of PM's/emails I get I am sure it is worth doing.

Question is can this BBS software have this type of Tech article link setup?

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

8. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

i think with the WEALTH of knowledge here and the experience of the people a FAQ or even more of a how to section would be cool but i think the need for pictures and the amount of possiblities of ways to build might suck up a ton of bandwidth,but may bring in a sponsor or some advertising.
    but i know i could use some building the stuff i build.
    goodluck.

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"