Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how about an old buildup thread lotsa pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by REDCRO_REDNECK, May 4, 2006.

1. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

I will highlight the build of my 1945 chevy from over 2 years worth of work.
    [​IMG]

I started building a 1978 int. traveller, but soon gave up after the body came apart in 2 pieces.

[​IMG]

so then I was eyeballing my grandpa's 1945 chevy truck, and the idea of combining them formed.
    [​IMG]
    this is after I had the cab mounted, and was figuring out how to mount the front clip.
    [​IMG]
    front end mounted kinda and bed sitting on the frame with some of the painting started. 85 cent paint from biglots is still on the truck after years of preasure washing.
    [​IMG]
    this was the truck finished the first time, right before I found out the bed rubbed the tires.
    Specs to this point
    304 v8
    t-19 trans with d20 case
    d44's with 3.55 gears
    35" mud trac tires.

before I even took the truck out to play the engine developed a cracked block......... so in went the best 305 I have ever ran and the best part is that it cost only 150 bucks, the tranny was changed to an sm-465 205 combo.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is on its second time out. Bed does not rub the tires anymore. on this trip I came within 50' of winning 100 bucks from the people running the mud pit. no one else made it past me, suprisingly enough, but the owners would not give me $75 for making it that far first.

the other trucks were 1984 chevy on rockwells and 44's, and a 1978 ford on 40s. I was happy that day for being able to run with those guys.
    [​IMG]

I found a deal on some 3/4 ton axles and started rebuilding from there, It as going to cost so much to fit them on the scout frame that a bought a 1985 blazer frame with 4" lift from the junkyard. This is where I made my big mistakes on how strong the body was and is the reason this truck is no longer going to be used. I did not re-infore the body because I did not think the blazer frame would twist so much, now the doors do not like to open and the cab is warped, to top it off the frame is bent now!

I have learned a lot from that truck and will be sad everytime I see it sitting in the backyard. chevy truck frames from these years flex, th400 and 410 gears suck with 40s

final specs

th400/205
    10bolt front
    14bsf
    40" hawgs

just some other pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i likeeeey

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

That just looks faawking cool!:bow:

4. REDCRO_REDNECK

thanks for the comments, it is an attention getter at my local pits. too much damage to everything now so I am building its replacement. 1970 c30 on a shortened k20 frame with d60f,14b van rearfully locked and hopefully if funds appear 5.13 gears.

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

IMO, you have the best looking rig on ck5. Nothing even comes close to old iron :bow:

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

sweet lookin truck!

quick question though, do you have any pics of the C30? I'd love to see 'em.

also, how tall were the 40" hawgs? i've heard they run a little smaller than advertised.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

very nice, always liked the looks of that thing

8. REDCRO_REDNECK

the ground hawgs run 38 7/8" on 15x10 wheels at 20psi.

I do not have pictures of the '70 yet, but it will run the same wheelbase and bobbed frame.

the motor will be either a 355 or 6.5L diesel