Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how about fire extinguishers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pilgrim, Jun 2, 2003.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I need to have at least one good fire extinguisher on my truck. I've invested to much to watch it burn up.. (this winter my alt wire fryed and set my vac lines a blaze /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif while i was winching)

whats a good kind, brand , type , etc.... what are you guys useing??? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I've got 2 good size type ABC regular extinguishers mounted on the interior panels behind each seat, and a mini PurpleK (type B,C) extinguisher mounted on the left side of my seat frame. I figure with 3 extinguishers I'll be set, unless my truck explodes. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Oh, and I've been told by a couple guys I know to stay away from the Kidde brand extinguishers that most stores sell, and get a good metal one. American makes a good extinguisher from what I hear..

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been told by a couple guys I know to stay away from the Kidde brand extinguishers that most stores sell, and get a good metal one

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think they mean the Kiddes with the plastic tops. Sometimes you can't refill them well. But there are Kiddes with metal tops. I ran a fire extinguisher company years ago and we handled Kiddes a lot with no probs.

5. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

good info /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif what about the differance between and ABC and just a CO2 one. i know that CO2 won't /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif put out electrical/tire/oil fire's but chemical ones make a real mess.. is there any reason to carry a CO2 or should i just look to an ABC...

also what about the hallon system's i see in summit for use in race cars... i don't mean setting up a whole system but maybe they come in bottles like the others do /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They do sell Halon in bottles, but its $$$. Also Halon displaces O2, so don't use it in a confined space. Also if its windy it won't work as well. A good ABC is you best bet. Walter Kiddie/Kiddie makes all diff kinds of fire ex stuff, very high end all the way down to cheepies made to put out a burning pan on the stove.

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

This might not be the end all be all of fire extinguishers but its works (yes i bought two to see), placed where driver and passenger can reach it i like it, another one is in the back

8. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Go to Home Depot and pick up a Commercial Occupancy ABC Dry Chem extinguisher. It's a little big (15 inches tall, 5 and a half wide) but it's big enough to get a knock on any vehicle fire. Remember, if you have to use a dry chem on your trauck, get a pressure washer in there as soon as you can after. The chemicals in the agent are corrosive to electronics and wiring. These little extinguishers that I see taped to a roll cage, about 8 inches tall and 3 inches wide are great for Suzy's grease fire on the stove, but I would rather have too much than not enough. I've been on a lot of car fires that took several hundred gallons of water to put out. A bigger extinguisher might have made the difference... Just my two cents.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a halon extinguisher in my rig... you dont see them to much anymore.. .like asbestos, they have been gotten rid of because they work to well...

j

10. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

That's because Halon turns into Chloroflouromethane or some kind of methylethylbadsh*t when exposed to flame. Puts it out real good, but poisons the air. If you can find it though, it's nice. I carry a 10 pound ABC extinguisher, as well as a 2 1/2 gallon AFFF water extinguisher. Can't be too prepared...

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, my rig isnt an enclosed environment, so its ok if it turns into wacky poop... so long as that poop isnt on fire. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Besides, my dad is a research chemist and he gives them the thumbs up, so I aint worried about it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif no foam gunk everywhere either, thats always a bonus. I think one of those race car bottles would be pretty cool to have, if you had a really bad fire situation it could be the difference between a lil fawked up paint and saving the rig from being totaled.

j

12. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

whats an 2 1/2 gallon "AFFF" water extingisher???

well that settles it for me i'am going to go out and get aleast 2 good extinguishers. thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

"afff" called A triple f is aqueous film forming foam. it is glorified dish soap. floats on water or any liquid and b/c its bubbly it clings to everything and coats it smothering the fire. it works great but there is always a huge mess to clean up. we carry it in the coast guard on almost everyboat.

nathan

14. bigjbear

[ QUOTE ]
    Commercial Occupancy ABC Dry Chem extinguisher. It's a little big (15 inches tall, 5 and a half wide)

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's about the size I have, but it wasn't listed as a "Commercial Occupancy", it was labeled something like "recomened for boat cabins" or something like that, and gave the p/n to buy the Coast Guard approved mount. I put in a FAA approved mount though, it was a better unit.

15. bigjbear

I see at least 6 Halon btls every day.

16. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Don't Scrimp on Quality here. This is a Safety issue. Would You buy $5.00 brake pad's? I did'nt think so. Buy the best one You can afford. A good 5lb. extingusher is like $25.00.and if the need arise's, You'll be really steamed, if You Rig burn's up because of a Walmart cheapy. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The Bitterness of Poor Quality, remain's long after the Sweetness of Low price, is forgotten.

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Don't forget to beat your extinguishers every few weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The vibration in a car will cause the powder units to pack and not function. Hold them up side down and beat their butts to loosen them up and shake them. If you feel a thud when you turn them over then they were proably packed.

Have a Haylon in the Burb and 2 small ones in the trail truck.