Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How about it for the stuck Texans in Colorado

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Larry, Aug 8, 2000.

1. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I just ran across this article about a couple of Texans that got their Mopars stuck in the Colorado Rockys. Being a native to Colorado, I cannot complain enough about the out of staters that invade our state everyday to demolish our trails and ruin the sport of off roading for all of us. This is a prime example of why offroad trails get closed.

We also have a bumper sticker that says: "Welcome to Colorodo...NOW GO HOME!"

Take a look at the artile titled "Seriously stuck" and follow the links to the Denver Post.
    http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b080800.htm

Push buttons are for radios NOT transfer-cases!!!

2. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

We got the same t shirts here for New Jersey. I like them.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

There is a post about this in the Non 4x4 section.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I personally take offens to that statment. Just because those two idiots are from Texas doesnt mean that we are all ruining the sport.I think what they did was assinine and a horrible reflection for all wheelers, but I dont think it is a reflection of all Texans. Thats all I can really say without getting rude. sorry

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I have to agree with Dblazer on this. I'm native Colo. and think it's great to see others from different states enjoying our mountains. Did you go to the Y2K5? Good example how we can all get together and have a good time. When going to Moab or anywhere else, I wouldn't want that attitude because my plates. No offense, just my lousy 2 lincolns.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Thanx Shawn, as a matter of fact we will be going to Moab next April. I would love it if we could get a bunch of CK%'ers toghether. Have a good day.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I'm sure you have plenty of morons in Colorado too, they kinda seem to be all over. And not everyone from Texas is an idiot.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

8. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

I agree, some people don't know what they are doing and ruin it for the rest of us....but don't group all Texans into the same catagory. I am proud to be a Texan, and it is always a few idiots that make the rest of the country think we are all like that. Talk about generic grouping. We have the same feeling here about out-of-state people... Don't Mess with Texas. We should not judge anyone by what state they came from. There are ALWAYS gonna be a few that make the rest of us look bad...no matter where you are from!
    Had to add my 2 cents too....

www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com
    www.rocko.coloradok5.com

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am on the offroad Mialing List also and they are going on and on about this!

What a feasco(sp?)!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

10. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a hell of a mistake those to gents made. From the stories, it sounds like they did everything they could to take responsibility for their actions, up to filling in the rutts they made. Nice to see the local Colorado guys pitch in to help.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

11. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    DBLAZER and Shawn made excellent statements. It is not just visitors that ruin the sport and there are indeed alot more visitors to the state that respect the land and sport than just those two clowns, Y2K5 is a fine example of just that. I guess it all boils down to this, one of the best pieces of off-road equipment a person could have is common sence regardless, if they are a visitor or not. I apologize for affending anybody.

Push buttons are for radios NOT transfer-cases!!!

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I still don't understand why those guys couldn't go back the same way they got there.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A few people at work know me as the "4-wheeler guy" so I got a little $hit from some of them because in their mind I am in the same class of people - WRONG. Anyway it doesn't matter where a off-roader comes from, if one of us does something stupid it hurts all of our reputations. Of couse one of my responses was, hey the guy was driving a Jeep, he would have made it out in a Blazer! Just kidding though [​IMG]

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

14. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Bottom line folks is that we all are americans, and this land of ours is for all of us to enjoy, the thing to do would have been to show them how to enjoy your state and not ridicule them for not being in the know.

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

What are they doing off road looking for a shortcut? It's hard to find a long trail around here much less, get bored and look for a shortcut.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

16. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Get out and vote.. to prevent more parks and recreational parks from being shut down.
    Seems to me most American's don't give a crap anymore and then bitch and moan about the job the politicians are doing.. So if we're all unhappy, get out and vote, check your local politicians views and vote accordingly..
    Sorry if I offended anyone discussing politics..
    Only we can prevent (vote) against park closings and other issues we stand for.
    Thanks..

It's better to have it than to not need it, then to need it and not have it. !!!

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From what I understand, the two gents from Texas got to the end of the trail but saw what turned out to be a wildlife trail continuing farther. Apparently their mistake was not getting out and walking it first to get a better look-see. This wildlife trail took them over the top of a ridge, again they should have got out and looked first, and on the other side the slope is about 40 some-odd degrees on grass! They realized their mistake, but everytime they tried to move the trucks they slid further and further down the hill. From what I read and the pictures I saw I think they just under-estimated the severity of the situation until they were in really bad shape. I also beleive that most of us have also run into spots where we under-estimated a trail or situation, or did'nt get out and have a better look before attempting something, these guys just happened to find the all-time worst place to do it. I think they deserve some credit for having grace under fire, taking full responsibility for their actions, and just not giving up. These guys spent almost a full week dragging hundreds of pounds of equipment up there to extricate themselves without further harming the environment.
    A side note here, and its just my humble opinion, I think the black-eye deserves to be on all the locals who drove up there just to yell at these guys, instead of trying to help them.
    Full credit for the guys who helped these two off the mountain, GRATIS
    Just my rant for the day

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

18. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Just wondering, how did they get the two trucks off the mountain? I saw some pics, read some of the papers online, but none of them said how they got off. I didn't do a lot of researching or nothing, but just wondering.
    Boss

19. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Steve Rumore from Avalanche Eng., Pat Gremilion from Premier Power Welder/Pull Pal, and another guy from the BLM got them out (I think) [​IMG].

I agree that when one (or two) people screw up, all of us get a bad rap. Fortunatly, some 4-wheelers went in there to help with the situation. This will help smooth it over some. This falls back to the old saying "One "OH $HIT" is gonna erase 1000 atta boys"

Kyle
    89K5

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The ironic part is that they ended up on private land, an old mining claim, and the BLM guy helped out on his own time after work. I read they used pull-pals and cables and God knows what else, and that the boys from Texas replaced as many Divots as they could along the way.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress