Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how about some hei help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Jul 19, 2006.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've hit a few sort of dumb problems with my engine install, lately. of the big 3, air and fuel are fine, but spark is a issue. i have the "batt" wire and the larger harness with 3 wires that goes from the distributor to the cap/coil plugged in. i don't think there were any more wires, to begin with. what am i missing, here?

2. K5ing in AZ

K5ing in AZ Registered Member

hei help

does it crank if it does pull a spark plug wire stick a screw driver in the boot then hold it against exhaust to see if it sparks if it doesent its your coil

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i tried a similar method, earlier witch would indicate either bad coil or no power to it. but i find it very odd, because the coil worked fine on the old engine. so, that makes me think i made an error hooking it up, this time. i just can't see what.

4. K5ing in AZ

K5ing in AZ Registered Member

so it does crank. have you ever had a pickup coil go bad. cause if cranks and your sure the coil is good you have a bad pickup coil. it's the magnetic pointe thing in the bottom of dist.have to take apart the dist completly good luck