Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How about this for a trail fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

My buddy runs 36" IROKS with a 10 bolt in the back of his Jeep and he broke his axleshaft at TDS this weekend. Of course no spare so we decided to try and weld it back together, hooked up our 2 batteries and I filled about 10 rods into the damn thing. After welding it back together we found that besides that the axle was no longer 100% straight the splines were kind of bad and could not get it back into the carrier so we decided that if we could just get the axle in far enough to get the C-clip on so that the axle wouldn't fall out it wouldn't matter if the splines were there or not. OK so we grind down the splines and whack it back in far enough to get the c-clip on. Here comes the crazy part, we put it back together and filled it with motor oil, disconected the rear drive shaft and drove it back to camp with only front wheel drive, after that we towed it about 120 miles back to his house:eek1: :doah: :eek1: I know this is not the best thing to do but we could not get another shaft on a sunday and we didn't have $500 for towtruck and everything went OK. Today we are going to do a burn out just to see how strong the welding actually is. I seriously thought that we would not even get out of the trail with the welding of the axleshaft but I guess it was stronger that I thought.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thats why i love my 14 bolt :whistle:

3. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Its a jeep thing, you wouldnt understand. :haha:

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

On a club trip one of my friends stripped the splines ont the flange/axle shaft connection on his AMC 20 rear end. The wheel didnt come off it was just no putting power to the ground. Back at the hotel where we had a welder so they welded the piss out of it. The next day we were out wheelin and we weren't even on anything remotely crazy and the damn wheel just fell off, the axle shaft had twisted clean off about 2" inside of the weld.

5. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

Hit the nail on the head!:bow:

6. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I'm verry interested in how the stress test turns out. I welded an axle once just to get the truck back to camp (where we changed it out) but I have wondered ever since, how long would it have held up.:thinking:

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]