Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How about using Dodge lift blocks with bumpstops?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Jul 26, 2000
    First of all, I want to point out that there really isn't any crime in putting parts from other auto makers on your Chevy/GMC. Just look at all of the Ford shock hoops and remote solenoids that guys here use.

So my idea was just that if you were going to use lift blocks anyway, why not get the dodge kind with the pad for the bumpstop to hit on it? I don't know if there's usually much of a problem with the tires travelling upward too far, but with big blocks it almost seems like you could put the tops of the U-bolts into the floor. Or maybe it could prevent the driveshaft from bottoming out and pushing forward on the transfer case. At any rate, they are there from the factory and with lift blocks, the springs can go up a lot further. With bigger tires, you could compound the problems with tire contact. I don't know if it's a problem or not.

Does anyone know what would have to be done to Dodge blocks to get them to work? Is there any reason why you couldn't take any 'ol lift block, drill a hole in it and bolt a bracket to the side?

I suppose the obvious alternative is just to buy those really long bumpstops, but I'm just bringing this up as an idea.

<font color=green>If a K-5 is "Built not Bought", why does this stuff cost me so much money? [​IMG] </font color=green>
  2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Jan 2, 2001
    The late model ones have a really big centering pin, not sure what the size is. As for heights, mine (stock) are 4 3/4", and shorter ones were used on different trucks. Some of the old body style trucks used 6" blocks, including the '93 250 and 350, I think other year 350s used them also.

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd