Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how accurate are propane fuel guages??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Disciples Performance, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Disciples Performance

Disciples Performance 1/2 ton status

hey guys my k5 since she is on propane the old owner disconnected the wire to the fuel guage now i was wondering how accurate are they really or should i just get another one cause i dont want to have to look on the tank always so then i know when to fill up lol kinda annoying

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

The factory fuel guage if thats what you mean will not work with propane. But ive seen some kind of guage on ebay, no clue how or if it works tho.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you could get a sender that works with your propane tank that is a 0-90 ohm sender, you could make the stock fuel gauge work. normal propane gauges in the tank are pretty accurate, as most of them are completely mechanical, and have a float inside the tank. they do stick once in a while, but its not that common.

FWIW, you'll never be able to have a "full" tank of propane, as you need room for expansion. 80% is the max you should fill it to, and there should be an overflow valve on your tank that starts spewing propane out when you fill it to that point.

4. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

Propaneguy.com sells one that replaces the one on the tank and comes with the 0-90ohm wiring. I think it was like $20. Thats what I used on mine. There are 2 little screws that hold it onto the tank. You dont have to worry about fuel spitting out of the tank when changing them as they use some kind of a magnet to read the float inside.

5. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

the kit that uses the stock gauge is pretty accurate but the one i have on the tank its self is the magnent style and its not very accurate.