Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how acurate is your oil gauge?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ahx, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ahx

ahx Registered Member

I jsut finished rebu8ilding my 88 k5 engine and added a high flow fuel pump. when i step on the gas it swings to around 50 psi. at startup its pinned. at idle its only at about 4 or 5 psi. this seems quite low. anyone have similar readings?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What kind of gauges are you using?

Mine are Stewart-Warner, and 2 1/2" or so, and 270* sweep.

In a word, they're kinda accurate. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ahx

ahx Registered Member

stock gauge.

4. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

I removed my factory guages and put Sunpro guages in their place, I still use my factory speedo and fuel guage.

5. ahx

ahx Registered Member

how did you get them to fit into the dash. jsut cut the cluster behind the original gauge?

6. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i checked my factory gauges and they are right on the money. but 5-10 psi at idle is low to me

7. ahx

ahx Registered Member

yeah well i replaced the gauge and sender and i have about 45psi now. now i have to deal with my check engine light. and also my blown heater core. one thing right after another.

8. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how did you get them to fit into the dash. jsut cut the cluster behind the original gauge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I took out the old guages and made the holes just big enough for the new guages, then I cut the bezel in half and just used the part that goes over the two big guages. Wired up my lights to the dimmer switch and whola it works it's lasted 4 yrs so far. I also did it to my 1980 Firebird, I used the mini guages.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have the stock oil pressure guage and an aftermarket gauage in my truck. Normally the stock gauage is somewhat accurate, but I have seen it off between 10-15 psi before. The biggest problem I have with the stock guage is that it is not as responsive as the aftermarket guage.
    -Harrison

10. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I have water and oil temp gauges out of a Catapiller 973 front end track loader /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif