Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How are you insuring your trail rigs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZZ4x4, Apr 1, 2004.

1. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I know some folks are not insuring trail rigs because an insurance company probably won't cover hardcore wheeling accidents. However, I feel I need coverage since I have so much invested in the vehicle. What if I crash my tow rig while towing and destroy the trail rig too? Or what if the trail rig burns up in a fire unrelated to trail damage or gets stolen while camping somewhere? I don't think you can get coverage for just fire or theft if it's not parked at home. Then what happens if you run over your spotter or crash into some other guy on the trails who wants your ins to cover his damage?
    My ins is killing me $75/month and I don't even drive on the street except once every month or so. What do you do for ins?
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i just keep liability sp? on it. I asked my compant (Nation wide) about rec. only trucks and they didnt have anything for it but i only pay 18 bucks a month anyway

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

In Ohio you have to have insurance to license the rig, plus almost all of our trails require driving on some public roads to get to and from the parking areas for the tow rigs.

Regarding hardcore wheeling accidents, if you want to play, you to have pay. You really can't expect insurance to cover the tab if you roll down the side of a mountain in Tellico. In some cases they might, but I bet your insurance rates would sky-rocket afterwards.

For an accident while towing your rig, check with your insurance company on their policy. I know with the company I use that the trailer, and anything on the trailer, is covered under the tow rig's policy.......in regards to liability only though.

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Agreed, my insurance on the DD/tow rig covers the trailer and what is on it. As far as accidents on the trail, even if you have liability and you hit someone else's rig, do you really think your insurance is going to cover it? I never drive my trail rig on the road, so I carry no insurance on it.

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

My worry is more about a total loss or liability if someone gets hurt. As most of us know, there is a combination of street driving and parking lot driving while off-roading. I'm just looking to get an idea of what everyone is doing regarding ins since my rates seem way too high for what little risk there is for an ins company given the fact I will never make a body damage claim for trail related carnage.

6. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

If you have liability insurance and you cause an accident and it is your fault - they will pay. Thank about all the offroad construction equipement - they are insured...

You asked a lot of questions in your 1st post.

if your rig burns,gets stolen - you need comprehensive coverage

if you hit something, rollover etc... you need collision coverage

if you want your passengers to have coverage - get Med Pay ( medical Payments)

if you want others to be covered - you hit somebody etc - get Liability coverage

The only problem I see you having is the fact that auto policies are ACV policies ( actual cash value) and not replacement. so if you do get coll/comp coverage, you will not get the money you feel the trail rig is worth in case it is ever totalled. Your premiums may be higher if they know you offroad with it = higher chance of making a collision claim

hope this helps

BTW - I work in commercial auto insurance.

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i just keep liability sp? on it. I asked my compant (Nation wide) about rec. only trucks and they didnt have anything for it but <font color="blue"> i only pay 18 bucks a month </font>anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get such a cheep insurance?

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    (Nation wide)

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Im also 30, married and havent got a ticket for about 10 years /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have full coverage cause I am still paying on it and I pay $35 a month. USAA Baby gotta love em. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

$65/month on an '89 Burb, 31yr old single male.

Full coverage w/$500 deduct.