Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How are your U-Joints???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Mar 3, 2003.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I am just wondering if I keep getting a crappy brand of u-joint or what? I have put about 5 set in in the last 7000 miles or so. I have checked my angles, they are good, and had the rear shaft re-balanced. I only have 3 inches of lift with a locked 3.73 rear-end. Just wondering how often others had to replace and what brands you were using. Thanks.

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What brand are you using? If you are sure your angles are good check the shaft for dents and get it rebalanced.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your sure your yoke isn't worn out?

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

hmmm the ones in mine now- have been in since '00 probably over 7000K on them....not a problem with them...

Brandy

5. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A wise man once told me:

"You can put in Spicers, or you can get good at changing U-Joints". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Solved the problem for me! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Ben

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Carquest U-joints arent bad either, i put a f*ckin Napa U-joint, the cross over one that goes from the 10 bolt shaft to the 12 bolt rear end, and its already got play in it, the 10 bolt U-joint didnt, i think im gunna do the Yoke swap, i still have the yoke from the old ten bolt and the U-joint which is pretty new, can any one PM me with some kinda technique for setting up a yoke, if so that'd be great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i got my yoke put on, and my driveshaft shortened for $55, professionally, i'd do that. brute force joints are pretty good.

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

you might want to check if your rear U-bolts are lose if you are chewing up U-joints real fast. a buddy of mine had that problam and he spent A LOT of money on U-joints before he figured out that was the problame.

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well im a do-it-yourselfer, and i enjoy fixing things, and installing thins in my driveway, so im gunna start looking into it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have been buying 1 year warranty Brute force Ujoints for my rear shaft from Autozone and I replace them just before the warranty is up. I broke a few Napa 1350 joints before I learned my lesson. I'm pretty sure I could shape a few beer cans into a cross and get it to hold up better than the napa joints.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just a little tid-bit, those Brute Froce joints and the NAPA joints are both made by neapco. A bunch of other brands, too.

12. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I believe the joints I've got are neapco as well. I haven't had any problems with them.