Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How bad are changing the body mounts??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I'm about to change the body mounts. Do the mounts have access plates under the carpet in the cab to get to the bolts?? Or will i have to cut my own access plate to get to them??

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Cab bolts are "blind" and accessed from underneath the truck. Floating nuts captured in the body. Bed uses carriage bolts, so only the nut underneath is *supposed* to loosen up.

Not sure if they welded in the bed bolts on trucks, they did on K5's. In any case, taking a cutoff wheel (or similar) and cutting slots in the head of the bolts can come in handy for tightening, if you can have someone help you when you go to tighten them.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Its pretty much a pain in the butt. I had to cut 4 holes in the floor of my K10 to get the bolts out because the captured nuts all broke loose when I turned the bolts. Good Luck!

4. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Should be no problem. If the bolts are real tough to break loose, flood them w/ some WD-40 and hose the oil up as far as you can by spraying w/ compressed air. If you need to, let it soad a day. It is worth the time to avoid breaking the bolts.

Oneother tip: use 2 jacks and raise both sides of the vehicle at once. This will minimize any shifting caused by raising one side at a time.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

like already said, spray the bolt with some penatrating oil. might want to do it 2 days in a row so you know it soaks in . If the bolts downt feel like they are going to break loose, tighen them up just a hair. You might have to do this frequently while taking the bolts out, but I did this and none of them broke out of my 79'.