Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How bad did I mess up? - spring perch removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Sep 13, 2001.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I attacked the old spring perches and shock mounts on my 14-bolt yesterday with a combination of grinder, cut-off wheel, sazall, and sledge hammer. When I finally got everything removed, I discovered that I had cut into the axle tubes in numerous places. The deepest is probably slightly more than 1/16". How much of a problem is this?

DJ
    78 K5

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If your welding the new perch over the area then NONE. When you weld it on it will fill it. Really even if it's not going over the same area then 1/16 in a small area should not cause you an issue. You will be fine. 14 is ver thick tubes and you should not have caused any weakening.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Like Grimmy said, your fine. No big deal.
    But like I said before, I would not weld those back on till you get the new driveshaft in.

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>