Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How bad does stock steering suck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jan 26, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am ready to put cross over steering on. The price is going to drain my entire "truck fund". Can anyone give me some real world situations where the stock steering left you stranded or caused major problems.

When I had 36's and 10 bolts I would go on trails and mud but hardly any rocks and not have any serious steering issues. Now that I am 1 ton and locked with 38's and a 7" lift I plan on doing a lot more rock crawling.

Thanks
    Brent

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If your front springs are flexy try drooping the drivers side front tire and see if you can turn at all...

My front springs are stiff as hell so I haven't really had a problem with the front to back steering...the tire doesn't drop far enough away to cause me to be unable to steer. Cross-over is on my list of thing i need to do anyways, I won't be running these Rancho fronts forever.

Rene

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I tend to agree with Rene' on this too.

The stock set up works pretty well, it's only when the L.F. drops with a full-lock Right steering in-put that the push/pull system fails.
    But with most A.M. lift front springs, they usualy limt drop, due to the extended shackle.

I don't think you could take full advantage of cross-over steering unless you loosen up the front springs with a better shackle angle and increase the suspension down travel.

So, do it now when you don't really need it, or do it latter when you really do need it.
    The end result is the same, some form of steering correction is needed when the front-end really begins to move.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well if you have Tuff Country EZ rides you will learn the first time you flex that the stock steering sucks. If you can live with backing up and moving foreard alot, or keep it if you dont mind dents.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never got stuck or stranded with my stock steering... but MANY times i was completely out of control (ie, pretty much didnt matter how I turned the steering wheel... the rig was going where it was going to go) thanks to the stock steering set up. When the drivers side droops down, the geometry of the stock steering is suck-tastic. With x-over, flex doesnt cause nearly as many problems.

if your rig is a mall cruiser, go ahead and stick with stock steering though, its only really worth the $ in situations where the front end is flexin'.

J