Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"How bad is it Doc?"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91gmcjimmyCH_IL, Jan 13, 2002.

1. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

\"How bad is it Doc?\"

Well I need a diagnosis on a small elecrical problem. I live outside of chicago and like most parts of the country it gets really cold around this time of year. With the freezing temperatures came a problem with starting the engine. For about a week or so the engine would just barely get started before the battery was too weak make anything move. I could only pretend that everything was "OK" untill that 15 degree morning when the battery was dead, "really dead". I took the battery to get it "analyzed" and as it turns out the battery is strong. With a fresh charge on the battery I was back in business with all the starting power I needed. A day and a half later it was toast agian. I really don't want to have to brake out the jumper cables every time I want to go get some milk(beer) so I was thinking I better get to the root of the problem. I think it is the altenator but then agian I don't know. Any input would be appreciated.

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Re: \"How bad is it Doc?\"

iF YOU REALLY THINK IT'S THE ALTERNATOR NEXT TIME YOU START IT PULL THE NEGATIVE OF THE BATTERY IF IT CUTS OUT THEN IT IS THE ALT IF NOT I'LL SEND MORE OH YEAH DON'T MEAN TO BE A SMART ASS BUT I DONT NEED A HEATER IN CALI!!!

NO LOCKER, STOCK GEARS, NO PWR BRAKES, NO POWER STEERING, NO PROBLEM!

HIT IT FULL CHICKEN!!!!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do not disconnect the battery while the truck is running. Start the truck and measure the voltage at the battery at idle. 12.6 volts is what the batery should be putting out while the truck isn't running. 13-14 volts is what it should read at idle with no accessories on.

It sounds like your alternator is toast.

BTW Throttle boss...turn of your 'caps lock'. That is considered yelling and is hard on the eyes.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

15 degrees? haha, that's a heatwave here in AK

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like the Alternator.
    Most auto parts stores like Napa, or Checker will test your Alt for free if you bring it down to them.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check the truck for any draw on the battery. If your don't have a meter the poor mans way is a test light.
    The Skigirl way says to remove the negative terminal hook a test light to the battery and and touch it to the now loose Negative cable. If it lights you have something drawing some current. First thing to disconnect is the wires to the altenator and again check for draw the same way...no light then you got a bad diode in the alternator. still get a light...pull one fuse at a time till the light goes out and then you have found your circuit that has a the short. FYI most shorts can be traced to aftermarket gear such as stereo's.
    If you get no light with the first test then you need to start looking for charging problems. Volt meter would be the best way to do this. test battery voltage before starting. Should read about 12.6 volts. once started you should see about 13v at idle close to 14 at about 2000 rpm. This is at the battery. If your not seeing these sort of voltages at the battery then your not charging. Fist place to check for problems is at the starter where GM joins most of the electrical system together. Check for corrosion on any of the wires. With these concetions down where it gets a lot of crud kicked off the tires on it including road salt.
    Now be aware that in the cold it takes a LOT for a battery to start a vehicle. If your short tripping like 2-3 miles at a time ver repetative you very well may not be getting the battery recharged to full. Lead acid batteries LIKE TO BE CHARGED. when they are charging it prevents the plates developing deposites. THe deposites inhibit it's ability to produce voltage. Short trip vehicles tend to go through batteries at a much higher rate that vehicles that get driven lots of miles for longer periods.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper