Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Bad Is It

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Jul 20, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

How bad is this. Can I tighten it from behind the panel? It pops when I turn and I always thought that it was just part of the blazer but today I grabbed it and it feels a little loose, and there are cracks all around it. Does this mean I need a new panel welded in /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ? Or can this be tightened? Thanks ya'll

James

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I believe you can get to it from behind the front seat if you pull the panel from the inside of the rear quarter but if it has cracks I would have a panel put in to fix it right it will eventually pull out of the panel.

3. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

Mines busted all out worse than that. I'm gonna try to weld the sheetmetal back up then put new hinge pin bushings in. The flat spot on top of the striker bolt is from the door sagging (hence needs new bushings) I dont know if you can get at it from the back side, havent messed with mine yet. Hope this helps

Later

Dan

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Piece a cake. Take off the striker bolt and sand the area down. Then simply weld everything up and grind it smooth. A little filler and some paint and things will look nice. If you want to tighten it, then just stick a star head socket in there and go at it. I just use vise grips on the end anymore. Get some new bushings for your door hinges while you're at it.

(K5s have the striker assembled sealed and can not be easily accessed. Only cut it open if the caged nut for the striker spins and won't tigethen.)

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't forget a new nylon roller on the striker bolt...makes all the difference in how the door closes. Definitely freshen up the door hinge, add new bushings and adjust the door as good as you can. The cracks don't look too bad, easily welded and ground smooth. When you tighten it up try and get the flat spot facing downwards.

rene

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help ya'll