Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How bad is putting your foot all the way to...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Jan 5, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

How bad is it for the engine if you put your foot all the way to the floor for like 5-10 secs to gain speed, does it redline or shift before it redlines? Does it do a lot of damage to the drivetrain etc?

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

2. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

If trany is in good working order, and motor is already fully broken in, it should not have any adverse affects.

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

but someone that just got their lic. may want to take it a bit easier until they get a little experience behind the wheel...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

4. anatomiczero

"but someone that just got their lic. may want to take it a bit easier until they get a little experience behind the wheel..."

I totally agree which is why I won't really be doing it, plus it's my dad's Jimmy. I was just making sure that it wouldn't do damage if I did floor it. Do these things get pretty much 10 mpg? and if so if it was being drivin hard what would the mpg be?

I really have no clue to how much these can take, after watching an offroad vid with a Blazer I was like wow I didn't know it could do that! lol

soon to have a blazer/jimmy

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've gotten as little as 3 MPG out of a small block rat racing my buddy back from the border...wide open throttle ain't too good for mileage. If I drive my Jimmy aggressively it will usually get 8 or less, if I drive it normally it will get around 10 combined mileage.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine gets 11 MPG or so. I'm 18 but I don't drive like a moron.

If I did, I don't think 2-3 MPG would be out of the question.

Edit:
    As soon as mine gets warmed up and I'm headed out of town...I usually floor it or open it up enough to get the secondaries to open to get up to 55 MPH. I like the feeling of getting slammed back into the seat by the motor I built once in a while, but I don't drive like a total moron, and I don't speed at all. I learned my lesson on that. (and I know my rig will do at least 100, any more than that and I don't want to know, and there's no legal place to do that and my speeding days are done).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i do it all the time

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE

8. anatomiczero

I'm totally not lookin into speeding, just the feel of the power and a being slammed to the seat.

Secondaries? I know what they are on the carb, but what do they do? Do they open up at full throttle or something? Is that what I feel/hear when I put the pedal to the floor?

soon to have a blazer/jimmy<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by anatomiczero on 01/06/02 12:58 AM.</FONT></P>

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

they are the rear butterflies in the carb that dump a whole bunchload of air and gas into your internal combustion engine

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO TRAIL BREAKAGE

10. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

other than very little fuel economy it should not hurt too much if done once in a while.
    although if you are slamming the pedal to the floor from a dead stop there is more stress on drive line components.
    also constant high rpm driving will cause more heat in the engine, more work on cooling system, and more chances of breakage

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've often been accused of using the throttle as a binary device. Either on or off. [​IMG] I've blown apart several rearends, but the only engine I wasted had just hoovered up as much of a lake as it could ingest. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...