Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How bad is this frame crack????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

about a month or so ago i noticed my truck would make awful popping noises when i would turn my wheels like coming from a parking spot or pulling in the driveway. i already had a ORD bolt on brace installed way before i heard the noises; and someone who owned the truck before me had made lots of welds around the steering box so i figured it was good to go (already fixed the problem i though). well i get a flash light and stuck it behind the gear box and there was light shining through /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . so i ordered a ORD weld in brace and today started to grind down all the old welds (nasty they were porous in the middle) and the crack ended up being much worse then i thought /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif , is this fixable?

Frame crack pics here

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

That's F'in huuuge! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif When you weld it shut be sure to grind a V into the crack and fill it up really good, it oughta be ok. Mine was smaller than that, but not by much.

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i don't have a welder or know how so i'am going to hire a mobile welder to come out they should know what there doing....lol i hope /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is a good size crack, and it looks as if there are a few smaller ones. It is fixable, just make sure you clean/inspect the area real good and locate all cracks, "V" them out with a grinder, and have the "mobile" welder fill them in. Also check the backside and "V" as much as you can (where the welder can get in) so that both sides are strong. P.O. on my 78 welded the engine crossmember from one side only and built one Heck of a bead of weld, but didn't touch the other side, and it ended up cracking back through the weld. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif