Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How bad is this frame crack????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Impex, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

about a month or so ago i noticed my truck would make awful popping noises when i would turn my wheels like coming from a parking spot or pulling in the driveway. i already had a ORD bolt on brace installed way before i heard the noises; and someone who owned the truck before me had made lots of welds around the steering box so i figured it was good to go (already fixed the problem i though). well i get a flash light and stuck it behind the gear box and there was light shining through /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . so i ordered a ORD weld in brace and today started to grind down all the old welds (nasty they were porous in the middle) and the crack ended up being much worse then i thought /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif , is this fixable?

Frame crack pics here

2. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Heck yeh thats fixable. With the new plate backing that up youll be good to go...

Oh yeh you can weld better than the last guy right..

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

im going to hire a mobile welder since i don't have one.....yet /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Just grind a v in there and knock down any crappy welds. If you can get to it from the other side clean it up with the grinder too.

That is a manly crack though...

I bet theres hair in there /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

That is a big crack. After you grind a vee into it drill a 1/4 inch hole at each end of the crack before you weld.
    The hole will keep the crack from speading any more. If you hire someone, get the best you can.

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

cool I learned a new trick..
    Id never heard about drilling a whole.. damn good idea.interupting the cracks progress..

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

that looks bad /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .i heard somewhere that 1st gen trucks from 70 to 72 had a extra brace in the frame for the stearing box.ive never had mine off so i dont know if this is true oe not.anybody know?

8. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I haven't had mine apart, yet. I have been down there lookin around and dont see any extra bracing.

I have been lookin at the fist and second gens real close. It looks, without a measuring tape, like the weld in reinforcment for 73- ? will fit (with persuasion)

I wont be taking mine apart till I get the steel...

One thing that is different is the locations of the crossmembers.. The bolt in brace wont work for a first gen.. the cross members aren't in the same spot.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think the drilling a hole thing is BS.
    when I was chasing cracks the end of the crack was a long way from where it seemed to be.
    when the heat from the welder is chasing the crack the actual end is several inches from the visible crack.