Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how bad is your rust...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Jul 27, 2000.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Just want to make sure im not alone.. haha.. anyone else have there seat belt lower mount gone and have just the vinel holding it on? (fixed now) How about the corner of your floor gone when you tap it? hehe (fixed on one side) oh and anyone have to hold their tail light in with expanding foam? Mine was an old farm truck when i got it.. can you tell

Project Silver Bullet
    http://coolwebworks.com/blazer/12jul991.htm

2. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Corner below the seat belt mount was gone when I bought mine. Both sides. carpet was ruined from the water comming in. Just cut out remaining rust, welded a new piece in, painted with Corolis, and topped whole interior with a coat of Durabak. The only rust problem I have now is the rear of the bed due to a worn out talegate gasket, hope a new gasket seals it.

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

1)-Right tailgate hinge mount rusted off frame.
    1a)-Just replaced tailgate window "innerds" cause they were gone!
    2)-Right turn signal hanging on by the wires.
    3)-Rignt qtr panel - need I say more?
    Hmmmm - there's a pattern developing here!
    4)-Both side rocker panels just about non-existant.
    5)-Small blemishes all over!

Yeah - the "behemoth" has some rust! Welcome to the club!

behemoth K5

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

When I first got my 75', the thing was nothing but rust. Front cab mounts rusted to almost none, front cab mount support, samething. The front floor pans on pass and driverside had a 1" gap from the rockerpanel, meaning, you can see the ground from the inside. The rear of the bed was rusted so bad, only one tailgate hinge supports my tailgate now(need to fix that soon). Holes everywhere in the bed. Pretty much it was a POS. After months of sweat and tears and blood, it finally became road worthy. Man I hated those months.
    Boss

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I love Texas I had a little rust starting on the floor by the rocker panel but I fixed it. Now no rust[​IMG]

90K5

6. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

Yep, I agree 90K5, Texas is great, we had a tub with really bad rusted floor pans, but we switched out the tubs last weekend and put a new one on, no rust in sight! Gotta love that dry weather....But can do without the 105 degree days!

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a Ford!

7. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, Texas is nice, but you can't 4-wheel in the snow!!??
    10" of snow, a fire, snowmobiles,....can't beat it!
    Dealing with rust is a pain in the A*%, but its worth it.

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

No rust here...courtesy of southern california's weather.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker kit,33x12.5 goodyear mtr, and 15x10 bajas ordered!

9. obrut

obrut Registered Member

Front fenders, hood, drivers quater and passanger door are in pretty good shape. Drivers door, passanger quater, rocker panels, tail pan are basically shot.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Let me put it this way. open the door and walk foward till your knees hit the frame rail. 4 inches out of the tops of each fender lip was cut out and new lip bent in. Hit the link to my page below my name for the pictures.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I went to put my seatbelt on one day and it pulled right out of the wall! Just for the heck of it I gave the other one a tug and it came out too. The whole floor, except over the tranny tunnel, was completely rotted and was only held up by the carpet. The subframe was rotted through in two spots. I won't even go into detail about the tailpan... lets just say there wasn't one. This is all taken care of now though, gotta love southern tubs!

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

12. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, on my 87, my seatbelts are nailed to the inner quarter panel wood, since the floor rotted away there.. I'm afraid to pick up the carpet.. my left rear quater panel has a big hole in it, and my rockers no longer exist. there's a hole in my floor on the right side, near the rocker.. my poor truck needs a bit of body work.

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

13. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

14. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

No rust ! you guys are killing me. Man if i could just buy fun parts and not have to worry about a new hood,inner and outer fenders,doors, tailgate and a new floor under my ass ,life would be grand! But, hey there is that sled in the snow ,oh ya that's in about a hundred pieces too! a cracked dash and faded paint, that i could live with. Blame it on the ancestors for settling here;)

15. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

I am in Az, but my blazer came from the mid west. Right Front Fender, Tailgate, Cab coners Both of them, and back right coner of the bed.

81 Beater

16. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

My main concern is the tailgate hinges and that whole tailgate area, including that stupid tailgate itself. My rockers are waving goodbye too, along with the quarters right above the edge of the wheel opening. Got the holes starting right behind the lower seat belt mounts too. Oh, and around the top of the windshield gasket in the middle. It's not so much the upstate New York winters that kill it, it's all the damn salt they saturate the roads in. Is salt really necessary? You'd think they'd come up with something less corrosive in this day and age. New York state should pay for my paint and body work.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

17. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

ohh, it's sooo nice to know I'm not the only one with a heep....there are worse trucks out there!!! I pulled the same seat belt stunt, yanked her right out of the wall...still haven't fixed it(for some odd reason when i rolled it...it still worked great). rockers are gone, drivers side has gotten ripped out wheelin, passenger is still pretty fromthe outside...underneath it's non-existant. Rear floor boards are still safe to walk on but their lookin' pretty mean. Front fenders have split at the seams...have drilled some self-tappers in to keep them from flopping(had to redrill them more times than I'd like to remember, running out of places to put them!!) Top of the tailgate is pretty much open to the elements, bottom is starting to bubble pretty bad. And above the rear drivers fender is gettin' pretty ugly as well.....I'll have to touch that up ala spray can. My body is gettin' pretty skinny on the metal side......it's soo twisty, sometimes just over a pot hole I'll feel my seat twist over it. Other than those things.....not bad.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

18. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Paid a little extra duckets to buy my 76' Cheyenne in N.E. OHIO after a guy brought her up from Cali. You could still turn any bolt underneath her....NEENER NEENER NEENER! Sorry guys, could'nt resist.

19. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

84 Georgia K5...no rust here... thank goodness

20. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

78 blazer. rust in the floor at the passengers feet. on the tailgate hinges, doors.
    truck currently getting bodywork done for all rust.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com