Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How bad will turning be with a welded front end???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, May 8, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I was just curious exactly how bad the turning will be with a welded front end. I know it really kills turning, and I will have to unlock a hub for turns, but will I have to on smaller ones? Will I have to unlock a hub for every little turn on the trail or just the bigger ones? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you should only have to do it on tight turns

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Don't know about the "Lincoln Locker" variety, but mine with a power lok posi, jump's around a little. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. alesko

alesko Registered Member

I ran a welded front on a pulling truck and couldn't make the turn out of the arena without unlocking a hub. Other than a mud bog or a straight shot I wouldn't weld another front.

5. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

I had a welded front a few years ago and hated it. The steering was harder, couldn't turn sharp, was hard to unlock the hubs and hard to get the tcase out of 4x4. I would for sure go with hydro assist with a welded front to take some of the stress off the steering linkage. Just my $.02

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

It makes turning alot more difficult with both hubs locked, and is very hard on steering components. I welded my front about 6-7 months ago, I only lock both hubs if I absolutely have to, if I need a little extra traction I just lock one side. If you have a heavy right foot like I do then get ready for some carnage. But the added traction of all 4 tires digging in is awesome /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Years ago, I was running a welded D44 and 38's. With the hubs locked I only had about 1/3 of the normal turning radius. When wheeling I used to keep it in 2wd and 1 hub unlocked to move around on the trails.

8. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I really want the front locked but still wanna be able to drive on trails without unlocking a hub for every single little turn. I dont really care about welding you the gears because they are 4.10's and I am going with 4.88's and an ARB in like 4 months. I just wanna be locked up front until I get that. What do ya say...weld it? or leave it open? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Lockright. Cheap, easy, turning isn't terrible, and you can resell if after you are done with it.

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

If it's just temporary, weld it. If you don't you'll probably always wonder if you should have done it. Worst case scenerio is you wont like it but you're going to be replacing it soon anyway.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've ran a welded rear axle in my Blazer for several years but just couldn't bring myself to weld the front even though it would have been free. Finally went with a Lock-right when I swapped in the front 60, used to run an Eaton posi in the old front 10-bolt.

So far I have been on 2 trailrides with the Lock-right and I honestly don't think turning is any worse than with the posi.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I was gonna weld my D60 before adding a locker but Crawln73 made me an offer on a Powertrax no-slip that I couldn't refuse so I never had a chance to do it. "Boy Am I Glad It Worked Out That Way!". If I'm coasting down a hill under no power it slips just enough to give me about 90 percent of my open turning ability, with any power applied, that mostly dissapears and no matter how much the wheel is turned, it only turns about 30 percent of open. I run mostly in 2wd low these days and only engage the front end on the hardest stuff, it works out well this way, but I wouldnt want to get out and unlock a hub each time.

13. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I have an extra set of spiders, how hard are they to change If I dont like it? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20