Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How bald can a tire be and still be grooved?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Mar 11, 2005.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

how bald van a tire be and still be grooved? I just picked up a set of 38s. To of them are completly bald in the center and the other two still have probably a good 1/2 inch of trread left. Can they still be groved?can i go down even 1/16th into the totaly bald ones?

2. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Go down to the cords, and then throw them away. Or just throw them away now and save yourself the trouble.:confused:

3. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

if they are completly bald. The steel belt is not to far away.

If you did a good burn out, you would prob see the metal.

If you wanna take a chance, just drive it in dry conditions. But you have to tread to protect you from debries in the road. (NOTE: not liable for what u do)

I ride my motorcycle till the tires are bald, but a majority of bike tires only have a few grooves in them already.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a tire grovver and its a lot of work . if thay are that bad then give them away as full size spares to get some one home in a pinch.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

by regrooving do you mean retreading? i dont know if they retread that big of a tire. biggest retreaded offroad tire i've heard of is a 33. if your talking about taking a tire groover to it, definatly not a good idea, not much rubber between the steel belt and bottom of tread.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

most LT/ Passenger truck/car tires are not regroovable.

You can groove for tread pattern change, but generally, you cannot grove lower than the manufcaturers tread.

Only tires with the words stamped on the side that say "regroovable' can be regrooved. (IIRC). And few tires fall into that catagory. (I've seen them only on commercial truck tires, or bus tires.).Then again, the've got like a 5" thick tread to start with, and they get re-groved after they wear out the first 2"s or so.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've removed the wear bars on some 36" TSL's. Not that big a deal and would have got me another 6 months or so...:crazy:

Rene

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

On the TSLs....I think those bars are acutally "tread stiffeners" and not wear bars???

At full tread depth, there would be a lot of squirm...so they put those bars in there to help anchor the tread blocks somewhat. Once I get down to that point on my tires (and that day is rapidly approaching!) I'll use my groover to remove them.....

It still seems like I'd have about 1/4" of tread left at that point (no bald spots, the complete original pattern would still exist)....so I'd get a few more months to start saving up the next $1000+ I'll need to replace them.... :crazy:

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Whatever they are, and whatever you call them...I also think there is no problem removing them and getting some extra miles from the tires. :)

Rene