Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How beef is enough?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Nobody wants to talk to me in the Garage so maybe some hardcore fab guys will tell me.

I started beefing my diff covers (14bff & 10b) this weekend. I have the ring gears straped in 1/4" plate. Is this enough. The front 10 bolt cover is 1/8" plate from the factory and seems pretty beefy now, but the rear is kinda thin.

Anybody ever popped a rock threw a 14bff cover? The ring gears are protected so I am not worried about that. Thanks

Harley

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Depends on how you did it. You will be hard pressed to dent it on the plate. If it is not gussetted on the sides enough though the plate can push through. That is why the most common design has a main plate from top to bottom (creates the strength of an arc) What is enough beef is dependent on a lot. I think 1/4" on an 1/8" cover should be enough, if you hit it hard enough to bend it you probably busted your teeth on the wheel. The plates should go down to the bolting face also. I used 3/8 cause I have it lying around from the shackles that I build, that is over probably built, but I can use my covers as rock ramps or skids and not worry. I think you should be fine. Now on to the body armor... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I reinforced both of mine, but the 14 bolt is just down the ring gear and buttressed into the sides. I was going to do the rest, but didn't have time or the right materials, and never went back. I dented my D60 pretty bad before I reinforced it. Now it's 3/8" on the ring...

4. Hossbaby50

Thank Russ and Matt. I am sorry you had to move it out of the Hardcore fab area but nobody responded to the question in the garage all day so I figured I would get more attention in Fab area since most of those guys have done this stuff in there. Thanks again

Harley

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya, Russ seems to think his garage remodeling is more COG stuff than your new welding ability... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (j/k)

6. BadDog

I've debated on moving my own if you want to know. It was not supposed to be "my garage remodeling", I was hoping to stir up some home built fab shop equipment posts/pics, but had no luck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, on the move, I've been busy lately and was sorta letting it go a bit to see what developed on some of the borderline posts. On several I was hoping it would evolve into something significant (like mine)... oh well. But, after talking to Steve today, I'm "tightening things up" again to get it back on track. Nothing personal, just trying to keep the signal high... I'll probably moving more through the day as I mull it over (including mine /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif).

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I can understand and respect the COG forum. It has been a little more of a pic postin' spot lately. It is hard to get a good responce to half fab projects (like twin stick, x-over, and armor) in the garage or 73-91. Maybe it is just me.

8. Hossbaby50

that is why I moved my post to the COG. It was in the garage for 12-15 hours and nobody gave a response. I guess it is because alot of guys don't need diff armor and even less are making it themselves. Thanks for the replies.

Harley

9. BadDog

Yes, that's a valid point. Seems many would like the CoG to be "anything remotely fab related". But that's not the intended use. Steve has said (and the mods agree) that the model specific forums are where most main stream or general fab and modification should go. The CoG is not for bumpers, rock sliders, and that sort of thing. CoG is really for those pushing harder at the boundaries to share and discuss with others of the same mind. The best thing would be if we could get the Second Gen forum back into peoples minds as *the* tech place for discussing the main stream mods and fabrication... People get bent out of shape and declare "boycotts" because the CoG is not precisely what *they* want it to be, but they stubbornly refuse to accept that what they want does already exist if they would just use it... If all the people whining about the CoG not being what they want it to be would just start using the Second Gen forum (which is where I move most CoG posts that get moved) for what Steve has defined it to be, then there would be a “place for the average guy who wants to get involved in fabing his own stuff”.

Sorry for the hijack and the confusion...

10. Hossbaby50

No problem on the hijack. I was actually going to post where general and less "hardcore" fab stuff should be discussed since I am now entering into the fab area with my truck and skills. Thanks Russ

Harley

11. BadDog

Harley, I agree. Frankly, I think the Garage is largely useless for anything more significant that general bs. This kind of thing should get better responses in here. Especially if we can get people to remember what the Second Gen forum was and is supposed to be. Remember when the 2nd Gen forum was *the* forum? Now it seems like many people think the Garage is *the* forum. There is only 1 reason that I would post in the Garage, and that's if I wanted the largest possible pool for responses. Anything else (other than bs and pic posts) I would put in here.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That is basically how I feel on the garage. You get more traffic but a lot of it is questionable at best. I just can't figure out how it all works though. It seems like (at least for us AZ guys) a lot of responces are regional all of a sudden. Here for instance is 3 AZ guys. So this same responce could have been had in the rocky mountain. It is becoming more of a clique'ish (many small & decided groups) place in here, kinda how pirate (/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) is now. Maybe it is just me again, I don't know. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well I won't respond to this hijack cuz on account I don't wanna be clique'ish. Oh wait,

Damnit!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Good luck to y'all. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Allan

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Harley,

Since the regional forums were intro'd and a person's location was added under the Avatars it's become much easier for people to notice they're reading a 'local's' post. It's natural that more locals would respond.

That being said I would guess that the reason your post saw so little reaction was probably the vague title. As large as CK5 has gotten I personally don't have time to read everything. I skim through the 400+ new posts in the garage and only read stuff that grabs my attention. Post titles that don't give me a fair idea what the post is about get skipped...

Lastly, we can all slag the 'Garbage' forum but it is CK5's front door for newbies. I still try to answer a bluebie post if I can almost daily...hopefully they can get a good feel of CK5 and want to join eventually.

Rene

15. BadDog

All good points. I do the same thing. If the subject is vague, I'll probably not look. But if I know the poster (locals) I'll often look anyway.

As to the Garage, I also try to answer questions (at least those with a subject that interests me) there regardless of member status, but I generally try my best not to post there. Too much noise and BS...