Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How big a tire will my factory mount hold?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gjk5, Nov 23, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I am getting ready to put some 33's on the K5 (72), I am wondering if this will be a problem with the spare on the swing away mount. I don't have any rust around the mounting bolts and everything seems secure, it just looks kinda wimpy. Just a simple 33" all terrain cheapie with a steel wheel.

Let me know.

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

all terrain with a steel wheel weighs what... 50lbs? how much do you figure the stock tire was? going to an aluminum rim on you spare might help the weight difference.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

C'mon guys, I gotta go wheeling Sat. should I just throw the spare in the bed? The spare on it now is tiny, I'm just worried about the bumps with a larger spare on there. Has anyone put a 33" on their factory mount and have you ever had a problem?

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

do you have a scale? weight the 2 figure out the difference and just guesstimate weather or not you think its worth it to add"X" amount of extra weight /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a swing out mount that latches to the tailgate also.. i'm not sure if it was stock on my k5 or what..
    When i drove down to pismo about 200 miles a few years ago, I put a 33" m/t on an aluminum rim on that spare tire holder.. Make sure that the holder has more than one stud or all thread so you can get more than one lug nut to hold it on.. Like at least 3 would be good..
    About halfway down there, looking out my rearview mirror i noticed there was no more tire on the back of my truck! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    Damn good thing i put some chain and a lock around it 'just in case'. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It was almost dragging on the freeway.. but thankfully the chain caught it..
    I took that spare tire holder off, and have been ratchet strappin' my spare in the back bed ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I had my 33" tire and steel factory rim mounted to my dealer installed rear tire carrier for about 4 years.It bounced a little but never had any problems.
    here is what it used to look like.
    [​IMG]
    this is the framework of it.
    [​IMG]

I've since removed it and made a beefier rear tire carrier though.
    [​IMG]

If your's is like the carrier pictured 1st I think you'll be o.k.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That's the one I've got, I think I'll give it a whirl for now. I'm only going 1 mile on pavement and then all trail. I like that the one you whipped up though, ai may have to try that once I get a new bumper.

Thanks guys. Pictures of the maiden voyage to come soon!