Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How big a trailer can I use in CO w/o CDL?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Jan 2, 2006.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into buying a trailer to tow my rig to Colorado when I move. I want to get as big of one as I can but still be legal in CO without having to have a CDL.

The online sources seem slightly ambiguous. Can someone give me some general ideas of how big I can get or what the laws are?

2. Willy-N

Willy-N Registered Member

It is a Gray area

It is sorta a Grey area. Here in Washington it is not so much size but weight. As long as your not 26,000 GVW lbs or heavier your OK. But it also has to do if your hauling comercial or personal use. I can only haul a 10,000 lb max trailer behind my truck with my Class B CDL or I will have to up grade it to a Class A. That has nothing to do with the fact my comercial truck weighs 41,000 lbs just the trailer has to be 10,000 lbs or less. You would be better to contact the DMV in your state of the State Patrol for any special rules on this. RV owners don't need a CDL and that is scary concidering some have Air Brakes and are very large! Mark H.

3. Willy-N

Willy-N Registered Member

Here is some rules Remember Federal Rules apply

DO YOU NEED A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE?
    You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles.​
    . • All single vehicles with a manufacturer's weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
    . • All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, if the gross weight rating of the combined vehicle(s) is 26,001 pounds or more
    . • All vehicles designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver). (Private, church, buses.)