Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Big is TOO Big?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I was reading through the forums at explorer4x4.com and ran across a thread about a HUGE F-650...

I've seen big trucks, and I think lifted trucks look really cool, but this is rediculously lifted and looks horrible and useless... Not to mention dangerous. Imagine trying some kind of evasive driving maneuver, or emergency braking... or parallel parking could even become deadly with that thing /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. chevyman_400

chevyman_400 Registered Member

that thing looks like the king of the road /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I read the article on that last year, The guy took a $50k 2 wheel drive truck home and cut it up the day he bought it. Said somthing about his wife threating to kill him, Went with the 650 because of GVW and ride height ect. It actually looked like a pretty nice job for a furd. Driving it is probably not any worse than some of our loaded dump trucks with lifts on back.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

whats dangerous about it? there are lots of dump trucks, tow trucks, cement trucks etc on the road that are HUGE. Size doesnt inherantly mean "unsafe"... if anything, the opposite is true. For a furd, that rig looks pretty sweet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Not that anyone can tell just from looking, would actually need a ride......But with a camper on the back, that thing would be a great tow rig.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Talk about conspicuous consumption... That thing is the ultimate mall crawler, there's not a trail in the world that it could possibly fit on. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif </font>

7. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

how can that thing even be street legall /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    : How Big is TOO Big?

[/ QUOTE ]

can't say as thought I've been in that situation before....ohhh- wait you meant the lift......I got it now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cant fit on trails? wha? sand dunes? the beach? salt flats? desert racing tracks? mud bogs? hell, even some (i said SOME!!) logging roads have quite a bit of space... they do fit big rigs up 'em right? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif No doubt that F650 wouldnt fit in your standard moab or rubicon type trails... but there are other places to wheel. Hell, as far as really tight trails, K5s arent even the best thing to have... so quit complainin'. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

C'mon, that picture lies... an F650 is just like a C60 Kodiak, wihch isn't much bigger then a suburban, just has gainormous fenders going on. seriously, I've thought of making a K60 suburban by getting a C60 frame, and front clip, and mounting a suburban body to it, and sticking some 2 ton rockwells under it. besides, the explorer is a smaller midsize SUV, whereas the F650 uses the 150/F350 cab design. thats why the windshield looks huge, and whatnot. think of it as an F350 with a 6 inch wider track width, and oversized fenderskirts on the front end.

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

blah... it's still overly large... 6-8 inches is sufficient for most trails I think (if my opinion counts /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) And that Explorer has about 4-6 inches of lift itself...

12. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    6-8 inches is sufficient for most...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    trails

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, um...er...ahh...trails...yeah 6 to 8 is sufficient. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You can say that AGAIN!

Brandy

14. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Whew! I'm sufficient. Ummmmm, I mean.....

15. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Capman2k said:
    blah... it's still overly large... 6-8 inches is sufficient for most trails I think (if my opinion counts /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) And that Explorer has about 4-6 inches of lift itself...

[/ QUOTE ]what I'm saying, is that truck more likely then not isn't lifted much. F650's come stock from the factory looking like semi's because... well, they are. its just a deuce-and-a-half, with better tires, and tricked out accessories on it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif glancing at the picture again, it is lifted, but probably not much... kinda the same way a 4 inch lift on my suburban makes it look gainormous compared to an 8 inch lift on a wrangler.
    [ QUOTE ]
    NoAngel showed us what on her mind: [ QUOTE ]
    6-8 inches is sufficient for most...

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    trails

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, um...er...ahh...trails...yeah 6 to 8 is sufficient. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif [​IMG]

16. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    NoAngel showed us what on her mind

[/ QUOTE ]

If I didn't have a little fire and sass in me than my name would be....Angel! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Just doing my part to add a little wit once in a while. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

and a VERY fine job your doing!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Thank you! I was worried that I might get sent to the corner and given pennance of 12 Hail Mary's. (although it wouldn't be the first time) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And that Explorer has about 4-6 inches of lift itself...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Look at the car on the other side. If that Explorer were lifted that much it'd be higher then that. It almost looks maybe 2" with little bit bigger tires at the most IMO....

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think that it's because the explorer is 4 or 5 feet back in the photo. Look at the lines marked on the ground. The explorer is not close to the "front" line, wherease the F650 and car are, making the explorer "look" smaller than it is. It also makes the F650 look bigger (maybe why the did it)...