Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how big is your garage?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spongeidys, Jul 29, 2006.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

and whats it made out of? and about how much did it set you back.?

im looking into building a standalone 2 car garage, needs to have enough room to store my impala and be able to work on my trucks.

2. eeyore

eeyore Registered Member

mines 32x50,12ft.high made of regular wood 2x4 for 9ft and 3ft cement wall footer.vinyl siding,4 windows,1,man door,and 1 large overhead door,and a bathroom.built it 6 years ago.cost $23,000 with no power or insulation.wish it was bigger.

3. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

30 '/36' about 13'8"tall in the center. quonset style metal building. I think I paid about 9 grand for the building. A lot more for rock fill, foundation and slab.

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

10x18 with 4 8x4 sheets of plywood for a floor. I couldn't fit a car in ther if I wanted to

I can't wait to build a shop when we move out of town

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

24x36 metal siding on 2x6 framing and 10' side walls. Uninsulated, completely wired for 110 and 220 plus a woodburner. Concrete floor and a drain in then center bay. 3 bays with 7' tall overhead doors which I wish were taller.

Paid $52,000 for it but I got a house and a HUGE property with it. It's gonna be up for sale whenever my divorce finalizes so I can downsize to a smaller property and cheaper house. Hopefully the new property won't have a shop as I want to build a 30x50 this time.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

My dad and I built a 26 x 40 garage about 6 years ago, all wood, 13 ft ceilings, three garage doors, cost him around 20k.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

round top!

Mine's a 20'x40' Quonset ,about 13' high..built in 1992,cost 4,050 bucks!..foundation and floor cost another 3500 installed..not hard wired yet--I get by with heavy duty extension cords--house is only 30' away..blacktop driveway "extension" to reach existing driveway cost another 500 bucks ..

If I ever had to do it again,I'd get one twice as big,and partition it off into separate "bays",and high enough for an "upstairs" platform for an apartment or storage,and put radiant heat tubing in the slab--IF I built it where its cold enough to need heat(doubtfull!)..

Only other type of building I'd use for a garage would be cinder block or a pole building with metal siding..

I like the quonset,no maintenence and its pretty darn sturdy--mine has seen 100+ mph winds more than once,and 3+ feet of snow at least 4 times since I built it..way less expensive than wood,and it cant burn down..:crazy: