Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How big of a tire can a D60 handle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I see people running 44s on them all the time, but at what size does breakage become an issue on the D60s? I've done the 35 spline outers and the ARB on mine, but I'm afraid that the 42s are still going to pop the sucker like my 38s used to do to my D44. Opinions? </font>

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm not rock crawling just trail riding and mud but breakage is not an issue for me. I've been wheeling with 44's (TSL's) on a D60 with a Trac Lock for about 6 years now and I've only broken one 30 stub axle. Of course, mud is not imposing the same stress load as rocks.

For the record, the truck weighs around 6500~6800lbs with a roller 468.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

where did it break?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

38.5's would be my guess, then it is adding more stress. if it is beefed, probably 42's

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It broke 2 ways, it snapped just outboard of the edge of the polished area for the spindle bearing and the broken shaft was split lengthwise (like a hotdog that's been overcooked). It's pretty cool looking.

Oddly enough, the shaft broke while running a deep pit at some local mud races. I was surprised because I would not have thought the truck would have that much traction in the pit (as opposed to playing in swamps with stumps, roots, ruts, etc.).

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hmmm, a one line reply that contains the words "guess" and "probably"... Thanks Zakk! [​IMG] </font>

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, this must have been a stupid question or something? How DARE I question the strength of the D60? I'm assuming that by the lack of response, not many people on CK5 have actually broken them... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font>

8. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Depends on how you drive.If you know your rigs limits and stay out of the throttle. A 60 w/35 spline will hold up with 44s.Thats what Im going to be runnin.I ran 38 on 10bolts for years and never broke an axle.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I hear about people running 38s on 10 bolts and D44s without breakage, but I just never had any luck, and I have always considered myself as a finesse driver. I am not heavy on the throttle at all... Well I guess that I'll find out for sure if the 60 is going to hold up to 42s first hand. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font>

10. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Shaggy, I talked to a PBB member about the 4Wheel &amp; Offroad Superduty Adventure Series truck that runs 395/80R20 Michelin XLs (46") on a custom built Dynatrac pro rock 60 and he was told by an editor of the mag that that truck has broken 10 35 spline stub shafts since they have had it under the truck with the 46" Michelins. The big difference is that that tire and wheel combo weighs over 300 lbs each. So I would feel safe that your 42's on hummer beadlocks should live a long time, with your upgrades you've done too your axle.

Just my .02 worth.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Lots of variables to consider. I dont ever really hammer the skinny pedal so I'd feel pretty safe runnin 42s on my D60 (it has a detroit, 35-spline outters, new warn premiums). Any axle CAN break, but considering my current engine (mild 350) and how I drive, Im not really worried about breakage. I think with respect to tire size and axle durability... the main thing to consider is the weight of the tire AND the wheel. My 39.5 TSLs on HD Eaton steel wheels weigh about 125 pounds each. 42" TSLs on some really nice aluminum rims prolly weigh pretty much the same or less than my 39.5s. Another thing to consider with really big meats is the backspacing. Real gearheads would have better info than me about this... but big-heavy meats on custom low-backspaced wheels (2"? less?) are 'sposed to strain certain parts of an axle more than normal.

j

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's not like it's going to keep me from running the big meats, I was just wondering about it. A few years back the D60 was considered unbreakable for all intensive purposes, but people are going bigger and bigger all the time, so I was just wondering if a consensus has been reached on how big is the limit on the D60. I'm going to be running hummer wheels with 3.75" of BS, so they'll be heavy but not outrageous on the BS. </font>

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Evan people are breaking 2.5 ton rockwells running 44"s, but then give some people a hammer and they'll break the anvil.

14. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Evan people are breaking 2.5 ton rockwells running 44"s, but then give some people a hammer and they'll break the anvil.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Excatly!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    73k5tony510 runs 44 with hummer B/L.We ran the Hammers awhile back with no breakage.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Bruce, I understand what you're saying here. I'm not asking for a hard and fast number, just trying to figure out at what point most people feel there is a need to go with rockwell or mog axles. </font>

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

At a local run in San Angelo I saw first hand how much a Dana 60 can take. I know only a handful of us have seen Toby Harrel of San Angelo run his Blazer. But seeing how hard he punished his 60 with ARB/35Splined/CTM U-jointed/ on 44" Boggers (and never broke)made a firm believer in me about how strong a Dana 60 can be. He contined to hammer his BB while climbing up something that didn't even resemble a trail and didn't break impressed the hellouta me!

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Evan, looking at how much some people spent to setup a D60 right, like you, Greg, and Scott. The 404 Mogs are looking better and better. And it seems the price on mogs are droping and D60s keep rising. I just want my D44 to last the season and maybe go from there. Who knows next week I might find one of those "cheap" D60s that you here about after someone else buys it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> OK, this must have been a stupid question or something? How DARE I question the strength of the D60? I'm assuming that by the lack of response, not many people on CK5 have actually broken them... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

"Some people could break a crowbar in a sandbox" -Anonymous

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I always use a friend of mine for comparisons like this because he is WAY hard on stuff. He ran 42" TSL's on 12" wide rims for years with a built 454. He broke a 30-spline stub or two, and one of the older necked down inner shafts, and a Lock-right. After upgrading to 35-spline inners (non-necked) and 35 outers, and a Detroit, he hasn't broken anything. However, he does go through and replace the shaft u-joints regularly, and has also replaced the complete shaft assemblies before because after a couple years of use the u-joint ears start to get loose. Fatigue after years of hard use will take the toll on any parts.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Evan, looking at how much some people spent to setup a D60 right, like you, Greg, and Scott. The 404 Mogs are looking better and better. And it seems the price on mogs are droping and D60s keep rising. I just want my D44 to last the season and maybe go from there. Who knows next week I might find one of those "cheap" D60s that you here about after someone else buys it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> If I had to do it all over again I would look pretty hard at the mogs for sure. I spent a mint on this one ton stuff and still haven't replaced everything in them...