Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I convince my dad...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Jan 11, 2002.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

that it's OK to have wider tires? The stock tires on my truck are soooo skinny, like most 3/4t truck's pizza cutters. THey are old and need to be replaced. My dad says, "wide tires are bad on snow, why not just get the skinny ones?" I found some BFGs fore sale and like them, but they are too wide for him! Any ideas?

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

you gotta sit him down and have a real heart to heart and say "look i appreciate the imput, but in the end its still my truckand i think this would be a smart move in the long run, Dad i need you on this one, i wouldnt trust anyone else to run my pit crew" it worked for me, and now dad wants to build a CJ to out do my k15[​IMG]

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

ps he is right you want those pizza thin tires in the snow. i plow with 38.5 hawgs, and its terrible, i wish i had my old dodge back

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

with wider tires, you get more lateral stability. Like the Pontiac GP commercials, wider is better!

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

5. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

What size tires are on there now? I have 31-10.50 s on mine but when the time comes to replace them, I'm going to look into maybe getting some 16x7 wheels and 235-85 or 255-85 mud tires. I like the aggressive pattern, they're as tall as 33's and they should (?) possibly offer less rolling resistance - leading to improved fuel economy. Also the sidewalls are 10 ply. With the narrower wheels and less offset I hope to fit them without having to lift or cut.
    Any opinions?

Bill
    '77 GMC Jimmy
    '46 chevy pickup
    '67 Chevelle Malibu

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Sounds like Dad is paying for the new tires. Did Dad buy the truck too?

"It's better than a sharp stick in the eye."

7. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Make the stability point. Compare the snow days to the dry days. Tell him you will replace the "Pizza Cutters" with more "Pizza Cutters" but you would like to have wider tires for everyday use. Are you paying for the tires? If dad's paying its kind of hard to make him change his mind. If you are buying go by a set of used "Pizza Cutters" that are in better shape than your current ones and then by a set of wider tires. Youd be suprised at what you can find in a local trader. I found a set 0f 38.5-13-16 for 200.00. Bought them for spare.

Tell him that the skinny wheels dont impress the chicks none.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Find out how wide is too wide, then see if you can get them that size. 10.5" is the narrowest I would want to go, (and did go with) both for looks and for traction on and off road. 10.5" was an optional width on the K5's for at least some years, so that can't be too wide for him. You get too fat of a tire, they look just as bad as too narrow a tire.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Dad (and mom) payed for just over half of the truck, based on the fact that most of the driving I do is either to school or ferrying my little brothers around. Plus, I don't get to take it to college next year. We knew it needed tires when we got is a couple months ago, plus new ones are viewed as a Christmas present. So, yes Dad is paying. Prolly he'll say a max limit and then I'll pay the difference. My parents say I should concentrate on my schoolwork (?!?) so I can't get a job, and thus have no money anyway.
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    WRONG
    The sidewalls are not 10 ply !

11. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

function before style. stick with skinny ones if your area gets a lot of snow.

-mxmastermike, the 4000th registered user

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, high school, I remember it well. Weekend parties, pretty girls and cool rides! We never once considered functionality or practicality back then, it just had to look good, and wide tires do just that.

Hard call. If you are spending some time in the snow, keep the narrow tires. I put a set of dual 15x36 tires on the back of my dually (Yeah, it looks cool!!) but you better hope you're not the guy next to me when I get in the slippery stuff. My rear end is all over the place. Soccer moms in 4x Astro vans go straighter than me. It got so bad I had to go out and buy a Suburban with 255x85 BFG Mud Terrains (well, that's the excuse I used to get another project 4x4!).

But if you're just on the street and doing some occasional wheelin' in the dirt or mud, tell Dad you gotta look cool or you probably won't get a date to your Senior Prom! Dads can't be so old that he's forgotten what's really important when you're that age. If that doesn't work, remind him he'll be driving your rig when you're away at college ... doesn't Pops wanna look cool!?

Good Luck,

Eric M.

Blown K3500 [​IMG]

13. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Well you could always try this one;

"Well Dad, I really want these wider tires, and I will never complain about them if something does go wrong.
    And if you don't buy them for me, then I will be forced to becoming a drug dealer in order to get the money that I need.
    It will be just like the time that Mom wanted to buy those new shoes, and you said no, and she was forced to hang around the Navy base blowing sailors for the extra cash.
    Enuff said, huh?".......................

If that doesn't work, then there's always selling plasma, hahahahahahahaha

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]