Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I figure out which flywheel I need???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerGuy, Feb 11, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have a 84 with orginally a 305 but it now has a Western Auto reman small block, don't know if it's a 350 or a 305 and it has a 700 trans. I'm swapping in a 465. So what do I need to do to figure out which one I need? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

both the 305 and 350 use the same flywheel. and both 11" and 12" clutch use the same flywheel.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Since you have an 84, you have a 2-piece rear main seal which utilizes an external balance flywheel..so you need a flywheel from damn near any 350 chevy with a 2-piece RMS. Get one that is suitable for a 12" clutch. (I htink they have an OD of like 14.1" or so...The one with the 168-tooth ring gear)

Chris

4. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ...The one with the 168-tooth ring gear)

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am pretty sure that this is correct. The newer blocks use a 153 tooth flywheel....I know the HT 383 does, as that is the crate motor I am looking at buying.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you have a 2-piece rear main seal which utilizes an internally balance flywheel

[/ QUOTE ]
    fixed it for ya

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    you have a 2-piece rear main seal which utilizes an internally balance flywheel

[/ QUOTE ]
    fixed it for ya

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Thanks Guys... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If I may squeezzz in a question here? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Does a '74 454/Sm465 setup use the same flywheel, 168tooth?
    This post made me relize I have not checked on this part yet for my BBC swapAroooski /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I am going with a Luk ProGold clutch set too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    Thanks and sorry for the slight HighJack /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. fortcollinsram

oopss. my bad /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

From the GMPP catalog, te 14" OD flywheel for 1955-1985 SBC with 2-piece RMS is #3991469; $150 from GM parts direct...

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Should. I think if you look at the Blazer brochures page, all V8's got the "12 inch" clutch, the 6's were the only ones with the "10 inch" 153 tooth ring gear flywheel.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I think it is the same, heck the bell housing is the same from SBC to BBC so..oh but wait the crank may mount different to the flywheel??? Or did GM keep that the same too??? Oh hells bells I'll just order one and pray they send me the right one /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. odee

odee Registered Member

the 454 uses a external balance flywheel. the 350 will work if you get a balance plate for the crank.

13. fortcollinsram

Bolt patterns on the crank are probably differnet though betweenthe BBC and the SBC...But yeah the LUK ProGold 12" clutch (04-902, right?) will work for the SBC or the BBC as long as it has the 168tooth flywheel to mate too...That is the clutch I have behind my 454 and I love it...great clutch...

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ooo you do, have that clutch. You like it alot or just ok?
    Are you running hydrolic or manual linkage? I will be converting to Hydro. I can't wait to get this stuff done!
    Gonna be great!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

15. fortcollinsram

Well I did the original th700 to sm465 swap when I had my 350 and I went with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, new GM 168-tooth flywheel, Centerforce T.O. bearing, new GM slave cylinder and master cylinder for the Hydro stuff...The centerforce was ALRIGHT...a little touchy for my tastes...But the CenterForce TO bearing went bad within about 5 months...

Then I swapped in my 454...I just turned the flyweel the came with the BBC and I got the LUK ProGold kit. THe kit includes the pressure plate, disc, and TO bearing and pilot bearing and alignment tool...

I got the clutch from work (I work at NAPA part time for the discounts /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif) for lik $185 for the whole deal...

I love this clutch. it is smooth and you can modulate it really well. I have beaten up on it too...I have done PLENTY of clutch drops and have blown up 2 1350 u-joints and one 1310 screwing around...I am swapping trannies here in a month or two (to a newer rebuilt 465) and I will pull the clutch off and let you know what kinda shape it is in... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But I would def get a LUK progold again...I bought a 89 Jeep XJ a few months ago and it has a LUK RepSet replacement clutch but if I ever burn it up I will put te ProGold in...

Chris