Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I get a reduction in power assist?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, May 29, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I don't like how easy it is to turn the wheels. I was wondering if there is any way to modify the pump or box the put out less assistance. I kinda got used to driving with the belt disconnected, I loved it except for when I was stopped or at a parking lot trying to manuever at low speeds.

2. nash69

nash69 Registered Member

ther is a nut and allen bolt on top of the steering box. by holding the nut and screwing ht eallenbolt in you can reduce the amount of assist.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Go <a target="_blank" href=http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html>here</a> and reverse engineer this modification.

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

That adjustment is for the over center adjustment, if you screw it down to far it will make it harder to turn, but not reduce the amount of assist, and can harm the box, its along the lines of running a gearset with too little or no backlash, the gears mesh too tightly and can be damaged.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To do it properly you would need to change the torsion bar inside the steering box itself. Give the guys at Lee Manufacturing (818) 768-0371 a call. I can't find a web site for them, but they can steer you in the right direction.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can change the valve in the power steering pump. They seem to be pretty much universal no matter the year (as long as the pump itself physically looks similar) and there WERE two different valves, at least for the trucks. I would expect V6/V8 RWD mid 80's GM cars/pickups (S10's) to have different valves in some cases as well. IIRC, the C/K valve difference was manual vs auto transmission.

Not sure what my pump came off of, but it requires more effort than my dads truck, with similar size tires.

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Best thing to do is weld up your front spider gears and leave the truck in 4 wheel drive!!!!!!

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My buddies '72 had the same "problem" so he just put a smaller Grant steering wheel on. Less leverage = less assist or somethin' like that