Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I get this off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capman2k, May 21, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I got my brush guard in today, and I put it together and was attempting to attach it, but I'm having some issues.

The photo below is color-coded. It is a photo of the inside of my bumper. the chunk of metal with light blue on it is the frame (passenger side). The pink on the bottom is where the bumper curls under and gets in the way. The yellow is where the bumper angles to about 45 degrees. The bolt with the blue line to it is one of four bolts holding the bumper onto the frame. It is also getting in the way. The bolt with the green line is the bolt that I need to get off. I have a socket that will fit on it, but I can't get the socket or rachet on there because everything else (mainly the blue bolt) is in the way... I don't want to take my entire bumper off and put the brush guard on that way, the bumper's heavy enough without another 30 pounds on it...

What do y'all suggest for my predicament???

Oh yeah, I'm not going to buy a Chevy because I'm having trouble with my brush guard, so scratch that off your list /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

2. johnc

johnc Registered Member

Maybe use a wobble??? or loosen the blue bolts and back them out enough to get in there with a regular extension?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe use a wobble??? or loosen the blue bolts and back them out enough to get in there with a regular extension?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I could've mentioned I thought about your idea... I'll have to go out and look, but if I remember right, the blue bolt and the one right above it are connected by a bracket on the other side of the frame. The side we're looking at in the pic is just the nut... So I'd have to take off both of the bolts holding the passenger side of the bumper to the frame, which I'm sure can't be good for the driver's side, especially when I start attaching the brush guard and those two bolts and little bracket have to support another 30 pounds /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like there is plenty of room for a combination wrench to get in there or even a swivel socket... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

It looks like there's a lot of room in the pic, but it's really quite tight in there... If I could get the socket on the bolt, I would just use one of those swivel thingers... but yeah... I've tried wrenches too, and I guess if I didn't mind being there for about an hour and a half working on one bolt, that would work... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Two solutions:

1: Take the whole bumper off.

2: Trade it in and get a Chevy.

7. johnc

johnc Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I could've mentioned I thought about your idea... I'll have to go out and look, but if I remember right, the blue bolt and the one right above it are connected by a bracket on the other side of the frame. The side we're looking at in the pic is just the nut... So I'd have to take off both of the bolts holding the passenger side of the bumper to the frame, which I'm sure can't be good for the driver's side, especially when I start attaching the brush guard and those two bolts and little bracket have to support another 30 pounds /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You could support it so the little bracket wouldn't have to support 30 more lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

or possibly try a racheting wrench if you are concerned with time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

try gas! two of three gal, shoud do it and a road flare, no more bolt worrys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

aha! There's a good idea... I can put the floor jack I just bought to good use /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When I installed my chrome one I had to basically contort my hand a bit with some wrences to get it. After that, since my guard uses the upper two bumper bolts (and 2 new ones in frame ), I put the bolts in backward so I just needed to turn the nuts from standing in front of my truck. Doesn't look that bad. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. johnc

johnc Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How can I get this off?

[/ QUOTE ] Rub it.

13. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

the one word that changed my wrenching life: TORCHES.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I've tried wrenches too, and I guess if I didn't mind being there for about an hour and a half working on one bolt, that would work...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Welcome to the world of working on your own stuff. There are a few bolts I've ran across where yes it takes a half hour to get it out at a 1/16 of a turn every time with a combo wrench /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

sometimes thats what it takes to get something off, a little hard work never hurt anybody /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Some of us don't have hour long attention spans /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...

I talked to the mechanic at the shop at work tonight, he suggested taking off the bolts holding the bumper to the frame, having someone hold the bumper while I ratchet the bolt I need off, bolt the bumper back to the frame and then do like what's his face above said and just do the bolts with the nut on the outside, so I don't have to mess with it from under my truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

What about loosening the two bolts that go through the frame so they don't protrude past their nuts, and then remove the bumper bolts.
    Or...............
    stop being such a crybaby and take the darn bumper off!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    How can I get this off?

[/ QUOTE ] Rub it.

[/ QUOTE ]

du du chic. = thats for you. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've tried wrenches too, and I guess if I didn't mind being there for about an hour and a half working on one bolt, that would work...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Welcome to the world of working on your own stuff. There are a few bolts I've ran across where yes it takes a half hour to get it out at a 1/16 of a turn every time with a combo wrench /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought some "Gearwrench" brand combo wrenches at sears a couple weeks ago.
    I can't believe I didn't get these things sooner! (kicking self hard!)

Putting the SM465 in the Blazer (bellhousing to transmission bolts) was a breeze compared to using standard tools.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting them sooner.
    -T

20. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Update:

I got the bolts out of the way, used my jack to keep the bumper from falling on my face when I took the bolts out... I'll need to get a jack that goes up higher once I get my lift in, it took almost all it had to get to the bottom of the bumper...

Anyway, now the issue is actually getting the bolt off that I need removed... the darn thing won't budge... I tried WD 40, beating it, twisting it, about 3 different wrenches... then I said screw this, went across the street, and borrowed a deep 3/4 socket... stuck it on there, along with an extension hoping for some extra leverage... used all the strength I had, put me out of breath, just about pulled the bumper off the truck, and twisted my extension right in half... The thing still won't budge... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I wish I had a grinder or something to just cut the thing off, I got 2 extra bolts in the back yard, it's just a matter of getting these ones off the current bumper /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif