Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I get what I want W/O selling a kidney???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Crunk_K5_1984, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

I don't really have a lot of money to spend on my project, maybe $900.00 max, so...... I need help from the audio guru's to help me get a kickin' system. I want the following
    1. Two 2-channel amps with 400-1000w per side
    2. 4 15" or 12" subs
    3. One 2 channel amp for the mids
    4. Two 6x9" component speakers
    I know you guys think I'm crazy, but I want all this stuff and I will get it, even if I have to sacrifice a little quality to get there. Anyone heard of Lanzar?? They make the stuff I'm looking at, I heard that they were bought by Pyramid and they suck, but a friend of mine has all Pyramid stuff and it sounds good....... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I'd build the system as you can afford your components. Start off with a quality headunit. I really like JVC. You can get alot of bank for the buck with JVC becouse they are not a big reputation name like Alpine. Now is a good time too check with any car stereo shops too see if they have any clearence items in the back rooms. (Last years modles that didn't get sold). Get 2 subs at first, you can always add more later. I've had some major systems in verous vechiles in the past. I didn't have the money too buy everything at once. I built them up as I could afford them. Thats what I'll do in the K5. Right now I have a JVC KD-LX50 headunit for my K5. It's got everything I need and then some. I used to have it in my Beretta befor I sold that car. Love the voice command, 3 sets of pre-amp outs, ...ect.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

John,

HAHAHAHHA......isn't that the eternal struggle? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quality costs money.......but there's always someone out there willing to offer an inferior product at a lower price point. It's sad, but there are companies who will continue to supply the "1000W Amp for $100"....because there will always be someone willing to buy it.

You have a LARGE list of equipment there....and you haven't even listed things like interconnects, power wire, distribution blocks, stiffening caps, etc. Realistically, if you think you can build a system like you want for under $1000, it's going to be a huge disappointment. Some of the problems you can expect are:

Blown amps
    Blown speakers
    Engine noise through the speakers
    Muddy sound
    Distortion
    Lack of Volume
    More blown speakers
    etc.

If you really want to do it right....you can probably save some money by buying some equipment "used". Amps are a no-brainer since there aren't any moving parts....so the risk is low. I wouldn't buy used speakers or deck unless you knew (and trusted) the seller.

The bottom line, is that a smaller amount of equipment installed WELL, will always sound better than a huge truckload of equipment installed poorly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

What about Pyle equipment, anybody have any luck with them?

I have a JVC head unit also, what model, I'm not sure, it's at the house, I'm not right now, I will find out and post tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice, I probably will start out with 2 subs and add on as income allows /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I just really wanted to buy the stuff, build the boxes, and install it and not have to fool with it anymore, even if I have to go w/o sound for awhile. I can also get all the connections, wiring, etc. for free or nearly free, my uncle owns a radio shack type place about 3 hours away. I'll probably go up there and install my stuff(when I finally get it) over a weekend w/ him. I really don't know what I'll do.....
    Cheers though!!!

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

You have a couple of choices since you can't get the whole system you want at once.

1. Buy what you can when you can and just sit it all on a shelf until it's complete and install all at once so you don't have to fool with it all of the time. Easy to do but will suck seeing all that equipment with no tunes. Some people can handle the wait some can't.

2. Buy the key components you can afford to get you started with some tunes and add more as you can afford it. You can do it the easy way or the hard way.
    a. Install just what you have at the time and forget about it until you buy something else. Then try to figure out the best way to install the newest item.
    b. Decide exactly (or as close as possible) what you want to do with the system. Install what you can afford right away. Build any custom enclosures you plan to use and install them. Run all power, speaker, input cables where they are/would be needed in the future. The installation might look a little funny in the beginning and will be a lot of work at the time but will make things SOOO much easier as you add the items you want. Everything will be somewhat "plug and play" It also tends to be a cleaner installation in the end when everything is planned out and placed all at once.

Good luck with it.... Maybe you'll get lucky and win the lottery or something /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wattage is over rated. Quality isn't.
    I run my subs on a old Punch 45....that's 45 watt's total as in 22.5 wats per channel. No it's not going to rattle the nighbors windows but if has good full sound. This point has been proven over and over that you don't need mega watts. There are plenty of people who have designed systems from the ground up and one major comps with less then 200watts total.