Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can i make about $30,000 a year with out a diploma?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by y5mgisi, May 10, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Im just seeing if i can save myself another year and half of the B.S. theyre calling school. I realy realy hate it alot like with a realy big passion. I've hated it from 1st grade. I guess im just like my father, he droped out in the middle of junior year in highschool and got his GED and went to wrok with his father as an electrican. This realy isnt an option for me as my dad is no longer in the buisnes. I think what id realy like to do is get my GED now and enroll for fall classes at a community collage and be there for two years and call that good. Be done with it. THe trouble is every one in my family(exept dad) says that i am a complete nothing without a diploma. They make it seem like i could never even dream of making more than 10 dollers an hour with out it. I dont understand. It seems to me also that if i had a well thought out and well explained resume that an employer would catch my drift, and know where im coming from and accept me. I dont know. clue in a lost teenage soul. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Look into machining. All you need is math skills. EVERY adult male in my family is or was a machinist at one time. All made over $10 starting and most of them didnt graduate or get a GED. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Truckers make damn good money too!

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I dunno. I have been working for a carpenter now for about 9 years ( I am only 26 ) for five days a week and drive a tow truck on saturdays and I gross in the high $30k's... Not much for around my area and barely enough to keep up with my K5 addiction. But somehow I seem to make it work. I am lookig for a new job and maybe go back to engineering school though...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Join the military.

Don't try selling auto parts. You'll have to work some overtime to think you're gonna see $30k.

That said, $30k seems like a lot but when you work your ass off and bring home $30k, you'll realize how little that really buys you.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Just depends on your ambitions, but then again (school or no school) you wouldn't be asking this question if you had high ambition. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Oh and what the hell are you going to do with a $30k/yr job? By the time you get there your going to want a $60k/yr. Am I right?
    (clause):Not a put down to anyone.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Stay in school, you'll always have that as leverage over your own kids. If you can build a K5 , you can do anything /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif If I had a to do it all over again, and could change some of my mistakes, I wouldn't , but you don't have to make any in the first place /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you can get your GED do it. But only if you plan to actually follow through with going to a community college. You think school sucks now? Try going back 9 years after you graduated and working and trying to juggle life. It sucks even worse.

College is much different then HS. HS people are there because they have to be. College people are there because they want to be. I'd sit down and think long and hard about what I really want to do. Then I'd see an advisor and plan out what classes I would need to get there. It's free and it won't hurt to at least get a picture of things.

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

UPS

ooops, no diploma, no UPS /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Dude, don't listen to all these old people's advice (no offence)... Take it from someone your age (I'm 19), GET YOUR FRICKIN DIPLOMA... I was in your position... All these adults and people with diplomas and teachers and crap said don't drop out, don't get your GED, just go through the next year and a half and get the deploma, and guess what I did... I completely ignored them...

Do what you want to I guess, but I would strongly suggest you just get through the next year of school. What's the big rush anyway? You're what 17, maybe 18 years old? You still have at least 50 more years to live and reach your goals (assuming you stay healthy and don't die of any unexpected things). What's another year out of 50?

I guess take it for what it's worth. Why would you want to listen to some Explorer driving punk on the internet for your life choices? If you have any questions, PM me. And yes, I will try to talk you out of it if you contact me. If I could go back knowing what I know now, I would've finished high school and I'd have a diploma right now... A GED is at least something, but it's not enough, and employers do look at GED people differently I'm sure...

Trust me... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Good
    Enough
    Diploma

11. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    employers do look at GED people differently I'm sure

[/ QUOTE ] NOTE: NOT REFERING TO YOU CAPMAN, JUST USED THE QUOTE

I'm a supervisor and I don't tend to look at someone with a GED differently, as in not being smart enough, but I do tend to see them as quiters but do admire them for going back to get it. but as far as getting a good paying job, I've had employees (and still have) that had to work for over a year at a lower rate than what the same person I've got doing, that is a regular employee. I have to let them work and make $2-4 an hour lower just to prove to the HR department that they can do the job and have been doing it for a yr. that's when I can get them the extra $. So please, do yourself a favor and stay in school.

12. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Go ahead a quit school and get your GED. Then you can go on a get a half ass job and live the rest of your life wishing you had just stuck it out. GED's are second best, and people will judge you for it. You don't ever hear someone say I have a GED and I am proud of that fact.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Stay in school. Even if you want to join the service, your gonna catch all hell with a GED. A year and a half ain't sh*t in the long run, just a drop in the bucket.

30k sounds like a lot of money to you right now, but try supporting a family, buying a house, having a new car etc etc on that salary. It ain't easy. If you think HS sucks, busting your ass all day long just to live paycheck to paycheck will put it in a whole 'nother perspective.

Good Luck...

14. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Don't Do it! Stay in school and get your diploma. Speaking as someone who's been there and done that...

I got in a little to much trouble in High School (those rare days I actually went to school anyways...) I ended up getting kicked out beginning of senior year. Thanks to a nice principal, they gave me the opportunity to go to college early, finish certain college courses and they would give me a HS diploma as well) Being as I had no common sense I screwed that up as well...

I was able to make VERY good money doing computers but thanks to the downturn in the economy I'm unemployed now. I have over ten years experience but can pretty much guarantee I will lose out on a job to someone with no experience,a HS diploma and a two year college degree.

I made the decision to go back take classes when I can and try and get my life back so to speak. Don't make the same mistake.

And 30k looks a lot less appealing once you figure that 30k or approx. $575 week is only maybe $450 week after taxes. then figure

rough estimates here...

$650 month for apartment.
    $250 month food
    $100 month car insurance (thinking younger drive here)
    $200 month health insurance (don't think about NOT having)
    $250 month utilities, ie: phone, cable, electric etc..
    $100 month clothes, misc upkeep items
    $120 month gas for truck (only enough for minimal driving)
    $75 month misc maintenance items for vehicle etc...

Rough estimate total $1745 expenses
    total income $1800 month (going by 4 weeks pay)

Enjoy you $55 spending money a month and PRAY nothing expensive breaks on your truck IE: DAILY DRIVER that you WILL NEED to get to work each day. You might want to forget about taking it wheeling anymore since you won't be able to afford to fix it should something major break.

IT's NOT WORTH IT!!! Stay in school and get diploma and a college degree. spend a few extra years now and enjoy the rest of your life rather than scraping by...

15. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Don't Do it! Stay in school and get your diploma. Speaking as someone who's been there and done that...

I got in a little to much trouble in High School (those rare days I actually went to school anyways...) I ended up getting kicked out beginning of senior year. Thanks to a nice principal, they gave me the opportunity to go to college early, finish certain college courses and they would give me a HS diploma as well) Being as I had no common sense I screwed that up as well...

I was able to make VERY good money doing computers but thanks to the downturn in the economy I'm unemployed now. I have over ten years experience but can pretty much guarantee I will lose out on a job to someone with no experience,a HS diploma and a two year college degree.

I made the decision to go back take classes when I can and try and get my life back so to speak. Don't make the same mistake.

And 30k looks a lot less appealing once you figure that 30k or approx. $575 week is only maybe $450 week after taxes. then figure

rough estimates here...

$650 month for apartment.
    $250 month food
    $100 month car insurance (thinking younger drive here)
    $200 month health insurance (don't think about NOT having)
    $250 month utilities, ie: phone, cable, electric etc..
    $100 month clothes, misc upkeep items
    $120 month gas for truck (only enough for minimal driving)
    $75 month misc maintenance items for vehicle etc...

Rough estimate total $1745 expenses
    total income $1800 month (going by 4 weeks pay)

Enjoy you $55 spending money a month and PRAY nothing expensive breaks on your truck IE: DAILY DRIVER that you WILL NEED to get to work each day. You might want to forget about taking it wheeling anymore since you won't be able to afford to fix it should something major break.

IT's NOT WORTH IT!!! Stay in school and get diploma and a college degree. spend a few extra years now and enjoy the rest of your life rather than scraping by...

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Stay in school. In fact, get your diploma and get into at least a community college, even if it is for technical stuff. Down the road you will be glad you did.

17. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

Man school is like the best time of your life, think about it, its really not that hard. Even if you just barly get by stay in school. What do you have to look forward to? 50 or 60 years of working 5-6 days a week /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

18. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

school rox /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I hated school. I didnt like to conform.....could have cared less about test scores because I KNEW in my heart what I was worth. I also knew what I wanted to be. I was wrong.......stay in school, get your BS degree and then start your career, whatever you want to do. You may very well decide you want to make more than a labor job can pay, you may decide this after you are married and/or after your social circle changes. If you dont have a degree you are stuck in many cases. I would strongly urge you to stick it out through college and not make the same mistake I made. Its VERY hard going back. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Suck it up, you'll be done soon enough.

When you are sitting in a job interview it won't matter much if you have a GED or a HS diploma. The person interviewing you will want to see if you can stick with a job until it's done rather than quitting when you get bored or tired.

If you want to quit just because you don't like school then you really haven't thought it through. School is just beginning. I've been out of High School for over 20 years and I'm STILL going to school on a regular basis. Sometimes I get to teach .... thats more work. The only difference is that now it costs more money and the classes have a lot more information packed into a shorter period of time.

Sorry, but life is hard and sometimes you have to do things that you might not like. Stick with it and have fun now, it only gets harder later and completing this task will help make it easier in the future, trust me. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif