Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how can i make my own soft top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Aug 30, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

ive been wanting to get a soft top for my blazer but they are very expensive. What i want to do is take out the back seat, adn spray the bead with bed liner. Then put soft top fabric (guessing canvas of some sort) and make it go straight down to the floor, with buttons all around so i cn take it off and a plastic window. Kinda like a pick up. ANy such thing?where can i get all the materials for it? I want white canvas, clear window and buttons. I dont care how nice it looks, or stupid stuff like that. Thanks

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

Re: can i make my own soft top?

i asked just about the same ? i took my top off and put a roll in bedliner in my 84 k5 looking for something just to keep my ass dry

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

This is what I did...

Got out the phone book and checked the yellow pages for convertable top/auto upholstery shops in town. A few were total a$$ holes, but this one old dude was the coolest guy ever...He would make what ever I wanted..anything I can think of I go in and talk to him and he says as long as I can cut a template in cardboard he will make it. He quoted me $100 on the "skins" for my tube doors with a convertable plastic window in it!

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    You can go to www.harborfreight.com and they have canvas.I got my 9'x12' for $36.I have yet to install it,but it is nice and heavy and waterproof.Then sew in some clear vinyl windows.This all should be less than $50.However the canvas only comes in a tan color,don't know if you could dye it?Mike

5. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Ive been holding onto a canvas ten from an army surplus store. I think eventualy it will make a nice soft top.

6. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Right now I have a ghetto soft top. I used 3/4" conduit piping to make a frame and streached a millitary canvas over it, I can roll up the sides and back safari style, and it looks cool too. However, up the the Mtns of colorado, we get crazy weather. I've found that the canvess will leak if water is left on it. If I were you, I would get enough yards of vinyl, from the local fabric store, also pick up snaps, and even clear vinyl for the needed windows, this is what I am going to change to here soon. Totaly water proof, good looks, not a bad price. I calculated under $100 for everything I need to do a full soft top. The only down side is your gonna have to sew some, and put some work effot into it. Definatly not impossible, and I will always put in elbow grease to save some $$$. just .02 for kicks!

7. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

As far as waterproofing the canvas...I made a full pop-up blind on my duck boat with a lot of practice using a tubing bender and canvas painting tarps. When it was all painted/died, etc, I took a little sprayer (garden or pesticide type deal) and filled it w/ thompsons water seal. It holds water like a swimming pool now. Apparently not stretched enough!!

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Polaris made her own soft top and it was really good! You might PM her or do a search