Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I remove the big pinon bearing without damaging it??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Sep 26, 2003.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

How can I get the forward pinion bearing (the bearing up against the pinion gear) off without damaging it? I'm setting up my front axle, and I need to add more shims and increase pinion depth to try to get a somewhat more respectable pattern. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

You need a bearing separator like this,

[​IMG]

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

And a press /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I got the press....
    Where can I get one of those.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Never mind....
    I found one...
    Harbor Freight, $19.99
    Thanks,
    You guys (and gals) are the best!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I tried the largest one that my local Harbor Frieght store had in stock, when setting up a 10-bolt rear in my S-Jimmy. It wouldn't work. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It just wasn't big enough and/or well enough made to slip under the bearing race. I ended up renting a Snap-On 5-inch wide bearing splitter from a local rental-all type of place for the day. The blades on it were machined down thin enough to slide under the bearing quite nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I would have just bought one of the Snap-On's but they're $133. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What axle are you working on? Some axles don't use shims under the pinion bearing but rather under the race instead.
    I just looked at your profile and see your rig has a 10 bolt front. You may still install shims under the race if you need less pinion depth. My $.02

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Yup, It is a 10 bolt front (converted to 8-lug). The original set-up had a shim under the bearing, so I reused the same shim under my new pinion bearing. I'm about to go pry out my carrier (for the 4th time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and try my new $20 Harbor Freight Bearing splitter. Hopefully I'll have better luck. I checked NAPA and they wanted 70 bucks for their splitter.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm about to go pry out my carrier (for the 4th time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now ya know why it ain't cheap to get new gears installed and set up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I was able to get my Harbor Freight crap to work... I see what the other guy was talking about though. I was able to turn the tool upside down to keep it off the cage. The pinion gear on a 5.13 is pretty small, so it didn't hit the teeth. If I had to do this on a regular basis, I think I would opt for the one from Randy's R&P....

12. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I do a lot of gears (work at a Jeep dealership, Grand Cherokees go through the factory bearings very quick /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) With the blue puller I can strip all the bearings off the carrier and pinion in less than 5 minutes (could reuse them if they weren't pitted.) Then you only have to use the press to install them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif