Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Can I Start A Website?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The club that I'm in really wants to start a website up and I'm fairly handy with computers. I've checked out numerous options and it looks like earthlink has the best option. $25 a month (for windows) with no startup fee. They give you a free program so you can design a site without knowing HTML language. They allow 400 megabytes of disc space and 20 gigabytes of data transfer per month. My question is will that be enough? We have probably 30-some active members so I'd like to post pictures and specs of all their rigs. Also, it won't be getting a crazy number of hits but there should be a fair amount...is 20 gigs of data transfer per month enough? I'm kinda hoping Steve will chime in on this one even though CK5 probably wasn't ever that small.

PS - I couldn't really find an appropriate forum for this one so if a moderator wants to move this to another one that's cool.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Probably more appropriate in here...

Rene

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Not sure if this is of any help, but I went and made my site for free at www.mountainexplorers.50megs.com

I know nothing about computers or details on how to do this or that. My site's not very spectacular, but I fit quite a few pics on there and some info, and it was easy for a dummy like me to do.

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

As a professional web designer, I can tell you that 400mb and 20gb/mo is probably overkill for what you need. Realisitcally, I'd be suprised to see you use more than 4 or 5gb/month.

However, the html tool would be helpful to you to get the HTML built.

Look around some more... a lot of hosting plans come with an HTML or page builder tool and can be had for less than $25/mo.

Good luck

-Mike

5. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

I agree. Personally I like Webhost4life. I host more that 4 sites with one account and have never had any problems. Plus you get a lot of neat tools along with your account. Their lowest package is only $4.95 a month.