Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I sucessfully wire up a dual battery setup on my truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RyansRod, Mar 3, 2002.

1. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

My list of accessories is growing by the minute, KCs, Huge electric fans, etc; and I would like to know how to wire a second battery into my power system. Can my alternator keep 2 batteries going? I'm not to sure how to tackle this one.

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

its not hard at all to do this you just hook the 2 batteries together postive to postive. grounds can be seperate at each battery and you will need a higher amp alternator if you have axcess to a diesl pick up look under the hood to see how they have them its simple

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well how big is your Alternator, You can do it in different ways you can use a Isolater (sp) or a Isolation Relay. The best way mite be to give Wrangler Power Products a call they have everything you would need with the know how to help you set it up.
    One of the best setup's mite be a 140/160amp Alt.a 200 amp Relay 2 ga Cable WPP Battery Manager As for the Batterys the best would be the Optima But as you see all this does cost some money as to how much I can't tell you I've built mine one peace at a time
    If you were to do a search I'll bet you would find alot more info.
    you know whats bad is I have Schematics for a dual battery setup but my scanner will not export them so I can post them.
    Good luck

Eric

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I havent set up my own 2 battery system (yet!!) but when I do, I am thinking about going with 2 Diehard Gold batteries. I have one in my rig now, and its performed really well. If you watch for sales, you can get them for like $60-70.

As far as the 2 battery set up, doesnt painless wireing make a cool setup for this? If I remember right its switchable, so you can run both at once, or keep one in reserve (no need for the old jumper cables!!)

lastly, didnt some chevs come from the factory with dual batteries? could prolly yank the stuff you needed from one of them at a junk yard...

just some ideas.

J

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Robzilla has SWEET dual Bat setup. you might want to PM him. he should get back today or tonight.
    Grant

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

im actually running a set up for three batteries. The third not installed yet. It is a sure power battery isolator charger, and a 180 amp alternator I had made (Large Chevy Casing) alternator has aby pass to charge the main battery and also one for the rest of the system. All Optimas. its pretty easy to do

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

try and find a real dual regulator or multi battery regulator
    I saw one once with Orion stickers all over it.
    when you find it tell me where

9. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

any decent car audio shop will have one. i use a pheonix gold isolator in my jeep. its way cheaper than the painless one and it works the same.

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I have dual batteries and the set up is really easy. It would be nice to have a big alt. and heavy duty batteries but you really don't NEED it to start. Go to just about any auto parts store and get a dual batt. regulator. The + from the main batt. goes to "A", the 2nd batt. goes to "B" and you should run a full size batt. cable from your alt. to the post that says ALT.
    The alt. charges the "A" batt. 1st then tranfers to the "B" batt. to charge it. "simple"
    You can add the high output alt. and better batt. later.
    Mine currently powers a 400w stereo, 5- 100w off road lights and a few other things. High output alt. is the next best step you can do. If you need pictures I can take some. I will be going to a 140 amp alt. soon.
    hope this helps.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

isolator and regulator are 2 dif things
    i have an iso on my truck

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Hey i went the easiest route and wired the positives together and grounded both batteries. I use two spiralcell batteries like are used in hummers. they are $120 a piece, but are well worth it

NITRO

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you wire two batteries together in Parrallel the batteries MUST BE IDENTICAL and it is best to buy them at the same time. When you gang batteries together if one battery is weaker than the other they will fight eachother and run each other dead, Unless your running a deisel and need the extra starting power your best to keep them seperate. Battery isolaters are not very expensive for small ones but you need to match them to your alternator output. If the Alternator can produce 140 amps and the isolator is rated 50 amps you can figure out what is going to happen if you have to pound on a battery with a Winch.
    After the isolater there are a couple of options. The first and most simple is to get a High amp swith so when needed you can gang the batteries together. Jeg, Summit both sell a suitable switch. Second if you want to be fancy is to use a Ferd Starter solonoide but understand these are for short bursts and not for leaving on all the time. There are some fancy relay set ups sold by Hell roaring, Painless that are a complete set up that will also give you the ability to charge the backup battery so no need for a isolator with those and they can handle the high amps. They let you gang the batteries together wheen needed. Quite honestly it's probably the best set up for the money.

14. That is my set-up I did a write-up on for Wrangler NW, excellent. I don't think you can get any better workmanship. It'll fit in my 2002 Avalanche so I am swapping it out !!