Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how can i tell if my 14b is a sf or ff? thanks for the help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skyyk5, Jan 16, 2007.

1. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

i have a hd44 and 14b under a 79 3/4 ton that i haven't got the ambishion to tare off yet. is there an easy way to tell if its a full floater or semi float axel.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

GM CORPORATE 14-BOLT Full Floater
    With a 10 1/2-inch-diameter ring gear, the biggest 14-bolt GM rearend looks much like a Dana 70, and is but a few thousandths of an inch shorter in ring gear diameter. This axle is commonly used with big engines and/or overly large tires and is 8 lug. It was used under 1973-87 3/4-tons.

http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

3. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

take off the hubcap, in the center of the wheel, if you have bolts, it is a FF, if no bolts it is a SF

4. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

on a full floater, the weight of the vehicle sits on the axle housing, so the axle housing will stick thru the center of the rim. on the semi floater, the weight is on the studs and the axle shafts. and look at the rear diff. a ff is like the pic above. a sf is just round.

5. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Full floater looks like this, minus the little cap. Semi is like a car, just a cup in the casting. Look at ANY dually, they're ALL FF and usually don't have a hubcap, so easy to see...

Suburban 16.5 rims, 77 tcase, ff axle... 001.jpg

6. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

thats what i though just never really looked into it. killer i got a nice ff for the k5! thanks everyone.