Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can i tell if my steering box is bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Apr 15, 2005.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

My steering on 90k5 with a 6inch lift and 35's sucks. I have a rised steering arm and a dropdrag link, my balljoints and draglink ends are all new. Wheel bearings seem to be fine also. I just put a dual steering stabizer and that helped my death steer, but my steering is still real lose, my truck is all over the road. Also my steering wheel doesnt stay centered, it will be in the center but after making a right hand turn when i come out of the turn the wheel will be to the right, until i take a left hand left then it will be centered again same thing when turning the other way. I checked my frame and i dont see any cracks. I think it is my steering box? Is there any way to check it?? Thanks

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what about your toe?

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

it might be because you have too much steering correction all you need is the raised arm and stock draglink

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

nope if anything the drop draglink made it better, cuz it did the same thing just with the rasied arm

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Have someone crank the wheel back and forth while you look for play in the steering components. Make sure the box isn't moving around at all. If it is, then you have a problem.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh jut turn the box back and forth real quick short jerks,. and you be under front of rig looking for slop in parts, if you dont see any slop then and pitman arm is not moving much or at all then its in the box, worn

7. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to check the frame at the steering box for cracks. Early frames were very easy to pull the steering box off.
    The later frames where quite a lot better, but not perfect. Off-road Design has a weld in repair and a brace that is excellent.

An easy way to check is to get someone to crank the steering wheel – from 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock. Not too fast but not too slow either. You may see some movement. You may have to pull the steering box off and look for cracks.
    Do a search on this site. There is a lot of information here already.