Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I tell the difference between...........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canyon, Nov 19, 2002.

1. 88k5canyon

88k5canyon Registered Member

How can I tell the diff. between an exhaust leak on the manifold or any other engine clicking like valvetrain or anything else. Anyone have any experience with this or know anything about it. Thanks
    David /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Usually a tough call...some one will come along and say for sure. I never really had that problem since I've had headers (that leak and pop as loud as manifolds when leaking, especially when you forget to put your plugs back in the smog ports). I've also had the pleasure of loud clacking when a hex-lock nut comes loose on a roller-rocker. I could usually tell with a cold engine by feeling around(not touching) the header for bursting air or seeing burn marks on the engine, then you can run your hand across the valve cover and feel it if its valvetrain (remember i said cold engine).
    Like I said, you'll get plenty of answers by the end of the day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Invest in a mechanic's stethescope, they are invaluable for pinpointing the source of noises in an engine. Just about any auto parts store should have them for under $10 or $15.</font color>

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A lot of the time, an exhaust manifold leak will disappear once the engine gets hot and the metal expands.

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I've had plenty of exhaust leaks and I've run a motor with a ticking lifter. I find that with an exhaust leak, you barely hear it at idle if at all, but when you lug the engine or just gas it hard, it'll tick a lot. Lifters usually tick all the time, and you can especially hear it at idle and if you gently rev the motor up, it'll get faster witht the rpm's. Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

My truck's had a lifter noise since we got it 140,000 miles ago, so that I'm not too worried about. But a rather recent development is what sounds like ticking coming from the TBI. Do TBI's do this? How can I be sure that's where the new noise is coming from? It's not loud enought to hear unless the air cleaner is off. Is there any way to fix this?