Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can I tell which front end I have?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swoo55, Nov 1, 2003.

1. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

Hey! I jsut brought a 1973 K5 Blazer. How can I tell which Tranfer case I have in it? I Have a 14 Bolt something in the back with 8 lugs and 6 lugs in the front.
    Where can I go to learn about the Differentials, Front/Back and all the new words that goes with them? I want to learn about what I'm doing and then do it right.
    Does anyone know where I can buy a NP 205 Transfer case?

One more Question...Is the sm 465 Transmission the one with 3psd with a Granny Gear?
    Thanks in front
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifSwoo

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey! I jsut brought a 1973 K5 Blazer. How can I tell which Tranfer case I have in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, 73s came stock with np203s. could be wrong. An easy way to be sure is to just go here...

tcase ID

[ QUOTE ]
    I Have a 14 Bolt something in the back with 8 lugs and 6 lugs in the front.
    Where can I go to learn about the Differentials, Front/Back and all the new words that goes with them? I want to learn about what I'm doing and then do it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

if I had to guess, you prolly have a ff14b rear and a dana 44 front... but considering that they former isnt stock for your rig.. the front may not be either. This should clear some things up AFA axle identification goes...

axle ID

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know where I can buy a NP 205 Transfer case?

[/ QUOTE ]

considering how much a np205 weighs, I highly recommend getting one locally. parts yards should have lots of em.

[ QUOTE ]
    One more Question...Is the sm 465 Transmission the one with 3psd with a Granny Gear?

[/ QUOTE ]

no idea, i have an auto. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeedy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sm465 is indeed the 3 spd with a 6.55:1 low...

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

callit a four speed though, because thats what it is is a 4 speed, period just like the 420 and 435 and 435CR and so forth

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

look on back side of the case and see if you have a small round cover with three bolts or not, or just a drain plug in center of backside, if drain plug only then its 203 and if has small round three bolt cover then its 205

and look on lower front corner of front axle diff housing for a large raised '44' or large raised '60'

that will tell you what front axle you have, 44 and 60 look identical its hard to tell difference, other than where U boolts are mounted to the housing

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and look on lower front corner of front axle diff housing for a large raised '44' or large raised '60'

that will tell you what front axle you have, 44 and 60 look identical its hard to tell difference, other than where U boolts are mounted to the housing

[/ QUOTE ]
    he said that he had 6 lug front. so that would rule out a d60, most likely a d44 or a 10bolt

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned