Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How can you tell if you have stock suspension?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinBaldy, Oct 23, 2002.

1. BlazinBaldy

BlazinBaldy Registered Member

Is there a easy way to tell if I have stock springs or aftermarket springs? I just bought an 88 K5 and not sure what someone else has done to it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

does it look lifted? the front springs when stock have a negative arch, they look like they are on upside down compared to the rear springs. if the front springs are like i described than the rear ones should be stock, or atleast not lift springs.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Your springs where really tired I guess, mine were flat not negative.
    I did have one that was negative but also had a cracked frame on six spots and it was obvious the PO abused it.
    Check the number of leaves, and check if there is any writing on the springs, what color are they painted if any.
    Stock were not painted. The front was if I recall right 2 leaves, and the main leaf is narrower where the axle bolts to it, it's tapered and narrowed.
    All aftermarket springs that I see are same width all the way.

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Colored bushingsand are usually a tall-tell sign of a lift. Like said above -if the springs are un-happy=stock -if happy=lift /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stock front K5 springs were either 2 or 3 leaf (3 being heavy duty, not sure if trailering package or why) rears were either 5 or 6, and I'm pretty sure that 6 leafs was part of any trailering package.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Easiest was to tell if it's stock is the front as I said earlier, the main leaf is tapered at the ends and thicker but narrower on the middle.

7. codeman

codeman Registered Member

Does the six leaves include the overload spring?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is an overload spring a spring? lol j/k, always wondered what the correct "count" method was myself.

I just count ALL of the leaves, (including the flat overload spring) makes it easier to know what I'm talking about I figure.