Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how can you tell what year?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikemud, Mar 25, 2004.

1. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

hey i have a 78 blazer project, finally got it on the road with an engine swap. (bought the truck without one) whoever had the truck before me swapped in a dana 44 hd and a 14bff. the ball joints are shot and i need help identifing which year my axle is... gear id tag says 41-11 3.73/ on the cover side the upper web on the drivers side says c36585/ (same side) lower web says 44-5cf/ driver side steering knuckle says L c38044/ pass. knuckle says c38345/ (on the yoke side) the driver axle tube says 312/ and on the pumpkin 446cf... the outer shafts are 19 spline and the inners are 30 spline... it is a 350/350/203 truck so it doesnt have locking hubs... please any help... thanks

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

You can try to research the year with the BOM number on the long side tube but the axle is probably too old to find on the Dana site. Assuming the gears are original there will be a date of manufacture on the ring gear that will get you pretty close.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the year doesnt matter for ball joints, they remained the same, you can pick pretty much any year between 73 and 79 and get the correct parts.

there were some slight difference in wheel bearing sizes and lockout styles in that time frame that you shuold be aware of.

to narrow down a the year a little more, does the tierod mount above the knuckle, or below it?

pictures would help

4. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

when i took it off it was mounted below... but i was having all sorts of wander so who even knows if that was right??

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you look at the tie rod holes in the knuckles, they are tapered, is the bigger end on the top side or bottom side?

6. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

the holes are larger on the bottom and smaller on the tops... so it was right mounted under...

7. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

thanks for your responces, went to the parts store to get my stuff today... bearings, seals, ball joints, u joints, are not only $300 some dollars worth of parts, but are listed all the same for 3/4 ton chevy trucks from 70-77 if anyone else is ever in the same boat as i was... thanks again--Chad

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

if the larger taper is on the bottom, those are non-flat top knuckles. most likely that axle is a 78-80 would be my best guess.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

For future reference. from 73-91 all 10 bolts AND D44's, 1/2 AND 3/4 tons use the SAME balljoints.