Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How cold is the AC?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lew, Jun 2, 2000.

1. lew

lew Registered Member

Hello all,
    Have any of you tried one of those r134a refit kits on one of your rigs?

Did it seem to work ok, and did it last long. I was going to get one of these kits, but wanted some user input first..

Thank you.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Here in Texas its never cold enough.

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Im using it in my 88 it gets really cold all the time your moving but sitting still it doesnt work at all ,a a/c guy says you have to have an electric fan to help the condensor dissapate heat and the stock clutch fan wont pull enough at idle.

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Tonight at work i'll borrow the dig camera and take some shots of the a/c helper items i did on my 79...yes a helper fan is needed in hot climates if you want cold air at idle...also adding a vacum operated heater valve near the a/c box in the heater core feed line nets 10 degrees...drill a small hole in the firewall and tee into the vacum line going to your fresh air door...that way when in max air mode there will be no hot water inthe core...next goto Chevy and get a neoprene boot kit off a 96 suburban...2 pieces plus the strap to hold it in place...it covers the a/c sys acumulator and shields it from under hood heat so the freon does not boil inthe tank...these two upgrades have done wonders for my a/c in my 79...and believe me anything to help out with getting cold air here in Az. is a plus!!! Next week hopefully i'll have the time to install a helper fan up front!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Registered Member

And now for the REALLY bad news. The R12/R134a conversion really shouldn’t work all that well. R134a is inherently less efficient and to attain the same heat exchange numbers MUST run at a higher pressure in the system. To achieve this higher pressure would mean a new compressor, new condenser and new evaporator rated for the higher pressure. The old equipment, with the exception of the compressor, will probably stand up to it but it’s not rated for those pressures. Now, if running at a lower pressure, the R134a will still work and will provide some level of heat exchange HOWEVER, I have been told by a number of folks and some research material that R134a, because of it’s molecular structure, will eventually, like in a year, leak out right through the older hoses of theR12 system. The only hose that will contain R134a has a nylon liner. I haven’t run across anyone yet who can verify this by the empirical method, i.e. did it happen?
    Any input??

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I've done quite allot of checking on this. Seems that most 134 conversions work ok at first, but long term is bad. Here is a website that has lots of discussion on the matter:http://www.aircondition.com There is a "Smart VOV" mentioned also that helps if you do decide to convert. I just had my '87 car repaired and filled with R12......nice and chilly!! The mechanic said 134 would not cool well and would ruin the system eventually. I know there are lots of guys out there that have good luck with converting, but R12 is still around.....just pricey!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

7. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Registered Member

Great Site!! And seems to support the contention that R134a isn’t all that it’s supposed to be. Especially since the rest of the world is STILL manufacturing the stuff by the mega tonnage! I believe it’s cheaper to keep your R12 system until you make the vehicle go away rather than try to change over to R134a with all the associated parts to make it work RIGHT. Thanks much for the site!!

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My system works great. I'm still using R12 and can get a refill whenever I want for about $10. That's another advantage of living in a third world country.

I was thinking about going to the R134 because I don't like to destroy the ozone layer, but after reading all the trouble you might get into, and not being as cold, I decided to stick with R12, since there are no laws here to make you switch.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I changed over 2 years ago to 134, bought a kit, changed the orfice, flushed the system, pulled a 30" vacuum and fed it the ester oil then 3 cans of 134. Works great, no new compressor, no new accumulator....
    I am going to use the idea of a cover for the accumulator, but I am going to use neoprene from the heating Airconditioning shop down the street, same stuff just cheaper...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Eagle, I guess you guys don't get quite as hot as some of us southerners, but what about the cooling at idle and around town. All the "experts" tell me 134 won't cool well in those situations in an R12 vehicle. I would like to just convert to 134, but I sit in Dallas traffic ALLOT and don't need to be even hotter. Do you have the old "long" style compressor or the short fat one......think it matters? The more I read the more confused I get.....I tend to trust guys like youself....you're not trying to sell me something.[​IMG]

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm