Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How cold is tooo cold?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I remember last year in vermont, went skiing- Nighttime temperatures easily dropped below -25F.

is it ok to drive a diesel in those conditions? Good charged batteries, good glow plugs, and also a lot of additive- they claim to offer anti gel capability down to -40.

Just thought I might check with you guys.

2. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

plug in yer block heater /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember last year in vermont, went skiing- Nighttime temperatures easily dropped below -25F.

is it ok to drive a diesel in those conditions? Good charged batteries, good glow plugs, and also a lot of additive- they claim to offer anti gel capability down to -40.

Just thought I might check with you guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch it with the additives, don't go overboard, you'll be shooting flames through your exhaust or worse exploding your engine.
    They have a recomended amount, you could probably raise it a 5% no more.
    As for the temps, if you are still mixing fuel and WVO I would use #1 not #2 when I mix, which is straight Kerosene if I am not mistaken or more kerosene at least.
    If you have the option, plugging in the block heater helps, but if you are like where I go out in the snow in the middle of nowhere your only bet is the good additives and good glowplug system with new batteries and a good starter.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Where do I plug in a block heater while at the ski resort? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

strangely enough, they dont have a maxiumum amount- and it seems as if extra additive doesnt hurt anything. (The PowerService stuff and the DFA).

In regards to the vegetable oil- no I will not be running a mix in the winter- the gelling point is just too high, i dont think i'd be able to acutally get the stuff to move.

6. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

It can be done safely.

1. 1000 CCA Batteries + Perfect battery cables.
    2. 5w40 Rotella (Don't forget to change this when the weather warms up)
    3. Manual Glow Plug controller w/ Kennedydiesel.com Quick heats, hold them on for 30 seconds.
    4. Plenty of fuel additive maybe #1 with additive.

My 99 starts in -15 weather no problem without pluggin in.

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I would add the gear reduction starter to that list. Mine starts 100% better in the sub zeros since that swap and the batteries don't take as much drain befor it fires.

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

In temps that cold, I leave the KW running all night, even with the fuel additive,UT/WYO temps in winter are sometimes even colder then that. I wouldn't trust the smaller deisels to start in those temps either, it's the only way to make sure that it runs /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    strangely enough, they dont have a maxiumum amount- and it seems as if extra additive doesnt hurt anything. (The PowerService stuff and the DFA).

In regards to the vegetable oil- no I will not be running a mix in the winter- the gelling point is just too high, i dont think i'd be able to acutally get the stuff to move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the power service stuff too, and I have seen flame shoot out my exhaust when I went with double the recommendation.
    I talked to a couple of diesel mechanics I know that work on fleets of trucks and they say that have seen that happen, so I figure why push it, the additive is supposed to be good for the temps I am running so I just go with a 10% over to make sure I got the right amount but no more 200% for me, it scared me when it happened twice on my way to Lake Tahoe.
    /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif